Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. What brought me here was a thread of posts concerning a chevelle driver. I have worked in professional racing, drove my own race car, had several projects etc. However, at this stage in life I am looking to build a real chevelle for driving. I agree the pro touring stuff is cool, but I want daily function. Like the poster wrote... 'I want it to drive like a camry'. :) Too, I do not want to spend money that does not provide me real world benefits. My goal is to put 15,000 miles a year on a 1967 chevelle ss. I am doing a ground up restore, but bring on the rock chips, rain and snow cause this baby will be built for use...no trailer queen here.

Concerning the suspension... has anyone done this type of project, and what are your suggestions. I had planned tubular upper A arms to correct bump steer, however, the cross shafts can be ordered in an offset for the uppers. I am wondering if the upper A's need to be tubular at all if an aftermarket cross shaft is used.

In general, what is your experience with getting the best drive as well as ride for your dollar.

Thanks,

Clint

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Welcome Clint! (music from 'The Good, The Bad, The Ugly' cues up....)

You will get some great answers to your question.... you might want to repost it in the right forum, tho. Some of these guys really know how to make the Chevelle handle!

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
My and my wifes is a 72 Malibu convertible .We rebuilt the front suspension stock, boxed arms with sway bar on back. It rides and handles fine and we too put alot of miles on it(enjoy every one).Good luck with your build ,good to see another driver being built.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I used all stock parts when i rebuilt my car back in 2000. I have alot of cruize time with no problems. I want to get it back to the shop for a front end alignment as the last guy Said I used to do these cars when they were new. and set the castor at +1 and i believe it should be -1 for better handling. The car is a little hard to hold straight. It seems to wander.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Welcome, Clint. Mine's a driver, too- just seasonal, though...

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
:thumbsup:Welcome Clint!

I would say if you want it to Go, Stop, and Handle as well as a modern car (or BETTER) with creature comforts also then the Pro Touring section is for you. By definition that's what Pro Touring emcompasses. You can take all the info and apply what fits for your taste, mild to wild, and go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts