are not orig. I am 95% sure this is a original car because:
1.3/8 fuel line
2.Correct axle code on 12 bolt.
3.Boxed lower control arms.
4.H.D. Front/rear sway bars.
5.Power front disc brakes.
What has me wondering is that:
1.Complete interior color changed from 770
saddle bench to black buckets(71 style).
2.Original dash changed to 71/72 SS that includes seat belt warning light.

On cowl tag across from PNT there is no code for color. Across from TR is 770 (saddle bench). Was a saddle bench available in a SS?
Also color has been changed to red w/stripes.
I have found yellow and orange in diferent areas on the car. Is there any way to determine what original color was? Any help
will be appreciated, I hope I gave enough info to determine if this is a real SS or
a clone. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
More then likely your car is a clone ,, the seat belt warning light started 1-1-72 . everything you listed is very easy to install to car , yes the saddle bench seat was availible on the SS , I was at a car show recently and saw two Gold w/black stiped SS's and both had Saddle Benches and 4 speeds w/o consoles , SS's could be ordered many differant ways which makes it very hard to spot a true SS without haveing build sheet its anyones guess , as for the correct color of your car thats a easy question as the info you want is on your body tag under hood , drivers side cowl area ,, do your self a favor and go to Year Ones home page and order there catalog it talks all about your body tag and how to read it and you will be suprised of how many parts are availible for your car ,, hmm just reread your post ,, no paint code on body tag ? strange .. the one thing that really makes me believe your car is a clone is the 72 dash ,, cant see why a person would replace original ,, but then again I believe the SS type dash was a option even on a SS so it is possible someone installed the 72 dash for that reason

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

[This message has been edited by catman (edited 11-28-99).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Smitty,

Check out this guide to spotting 68-72 SS cars. it will answer some of your questions and give you some other things to check. Unfortunately unless it was Canadian built you need the build sheet to know for sure.

www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

------------------
Thanks,
Michael
Team Chevelle Member #136
71 Chevelle convertable
Westfield,MA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.