Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS:last spring i bought my friends 72 chevelle.it was the car we cruzied around in,in the 80,s.well the doors and bumpers are good the rest of the car has cancer,quarters gone frame gone fenders gone floor gone wheelwhells gone even pilliar post where window and roof meet are rotted.the trunk is ok but would need the braces to replace the channel iron.i have been thinking of buying a good mig for 1000 and break the bank but maybe i dont know what im getting into.have been looking at cars chevelles of course and either they are way over priced or i'd have to do spend another 3000 just to be happy with it. now i am looking in the 10,000 range but still the same senero.should i put bessy to rest and keep looking ,or should i go to town on bessy.i kinda know what i should do ,but what i want to do and should are two different things.P.S. i wish i could afford skips car,but my wife would leave me haha!!.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sounds like a true dilemma. I'd say to go with your head here, instead of your heart. I know in my experience, cars/house/family, nothing is everything that it appears to be. There is always one or two things that you didn't count on, so just be careful what you do. As far as Skip's car, I too wish I could buy it. But, I can't afford the car AND alimony payments.
Fred

------------------

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Steve, In my opinion that car is pretty far gone, I dont know what you paid for it but I hope it was real cheap. There are lots of places to look for a serviceable chevelle, one is coming up April 22-25 1999. Its called Spring Carlisle at Carlisle, Pa. I dont know where that is in relation to where you live but they have lots of cars in their Car Corral. You might also look in the auto trader and other like ad books. Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if the car is as bad as you say maybe you should get another one and use this for parts.im sure there are other parts that are still in good shape.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree. Use your heart and your wallet will follow. Do you think that the car is worth the time and effort? Even if you do all of the patchwork, I doubt that the car will ever have the same structural integrity.
Another option is to get another 72 & transfer the stuff you need, sell the rest, & get $100 from the scrap yard. I know it'll hurt, but your wallet will thank-you.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
Syracuse, NY
(aka. DA SKUNK)

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
It's sounds like it was a fun car but perhaps it's time to call it quits.... there just doesn't sound like enough car left to work with.

Personally? To satisfy the heart, I'd make one that looked just like it. Grab whatever you can (dash, wheel, pedals, etc -- maybe even a little dented chrome if you remember how it got dented
) and swap it all into the next 72 so that the memory lives on.

tough call either way.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
When its spread to the frame, I think that its time to let it go. Take some photos and buy a new one and pull as much as you can out of it. Its a hard call to follow through with but you'll always remember her in better times. AND on a brighter note, good luck for the next 72 hunt!

-Joe Y.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Steve -

My vote is to put her down, tough as it may be. You'd be so far into the car, and you'd never get close to that $$ out. Having lived in the rust belt for 30+ years, I know how hard it is to find a reasonably priced solid Chevelle. Fortunately, I'm on the west coast now, where $5000 or less gives you a choice of nice drivers. You'd be so much farther ahead starting out with a solid car. If you can't find something on your own, drop me an e-mail and I may be able to help you locate a nice solid car to ship back your way.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What you own is a donor car. Take a cruise through the classifieds in the rust free cities and thin about a cheap plen ticket . Vegas might not be bad, and L.A. has lots of cars. I spent my first 45 years in the rust belt and now live in Tucson. The cars are much much better here. Do not waste your resources on trying to make a rusty car into a non-rusty car-- it will not work. your pleasure level will much greater if you start with a good car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A good rule of thumb is forget your emotions, take a good hard look at the car, check some catalogues for parts prices, make a high estimate of your labor time and parts cost - THEN DOUBLE BOTH !!!!! This will be a realistic estimate.
I vote; get a similar car needing restoration, but in servicable condition and use this one for parts.
Second, move out of N.Y. before your resto gets on the road.(Lived there done that)

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good advice from all these guys.... Seriously consider buying an outta state west coast car. Sure it's more of a hassle, but believe me, far less hassle than fixing rust. Be prepared to find sun-worn interiors, weatherstripping, and paint from states like Texas, Arizona, and California. But if you're good fixing that stuff (or swapping some of it from your donor), you should be able to get a nice 72 project for resonable cash. Good Luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the kick in the butt from everyone.i needed that.old bessy is laid to rest i have a few prospects,but need to check them out.i will let you all know the out come cause its cruzin weather and im ready.p.s. i got my eye on a 67 cherry!

·
Registered
777 Posts
My condolences...and Good Luck on the new prospects.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the kick in the butt from everyone.i needed that.old bessy is laid to rest i have a few prospects,but need to check them out.i will let you all know the out come cause its cruzin weather and im ready.p.s. i got my eye on a 67 cherry!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.