Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
In 69, there was no way to tell from the vin. number like other years before. Without documentation, it's very hard to tell. Here are some things to look for that a real SS would have:

F-41 suspension package, look for rear sway bar and boxed control arms.(could be ordered on Malibu models)

Disc brakes(could be ordered on Malibu models)

Big block/TH400 or 4spd

Could have tach and guages(could be ordered on Malibu models)

Short eyebrow moldings

Look in the 1/4 for holes near the marker light the the "Malibu" emblems fit in to.

That's all I can think of right now. If you are looking at a 69 2 door coupe, the vin would start 13637... That would at least id. a V8 car.

------------------
Jason Babal
69 Chevelle SS
3100lbs. W/O driver

The Car Thehttp://www.chevelles.com/showroom/igotta71launch8.JPG

<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/igotta7110.jpg" TARGET=_blank>The Man
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/igotta7110.jpg</A>

http://www.camaro1.com

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Look for a 12 bolt rear, bracing from the lower rear control arms to the upper arms, a splined upper connector to the steering box. Correct dash emblem. Some SS's had emblems on door panels. Look at the wiring harness under the dash to ensure it is not spliced to the instruments or a new "correct" SS harness.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Ceajay:

Welcome to the best site on the net! Always good to have another CanEHdian on board!!

A tip for you and any of the new guys here: There are a ton of links off of the main page "chevelles.com" such as http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html
Check it out - great stuff!

Things to also note, not mentioned above:
300 deluxes could be SS cars in 69, including the 2 door post model. The VIN would then start with 13437 or 13427 for th post models (I think the 13427 is right).

Canadian cars can be verifed by General Motors: http://www.chevelles.com/vvs/index.html

All 69 SS cars were big blocks, and SS big blocks always got front power disc brakes - note the the disc brakes had a small valve attached to the front of booster beside the master cylinder.

Gauges were NOT standard on 69 SS cars, nor was posi, nor was a side stripe. If a rear axle ratio of 4.10 or higher was ordered, posi was then required though.

It is typically thought that SS cars had 3/8" diameter fuel line.

There are differences between the rag joint in the steering column between BB and SB engines (a search in this forum should bring up pictures).

An SS could be had with the F40 suspension (mine did).

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
Bow_Tied is right about the suspension. F41 was NOT std on '69 SS's. Was std on '70 SS though. So no rear sway bar was included in the '69 SS option. Another commonly overlooked '69 SS only feature was the stainless trim ring around the parking light lenses. Look first for the power disc front brakes and 12 bolt diff. They're usually the last to be changed on a clone, although they both could be had on a non-SS with the right options.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I agree that the SS didn't have the F-41 suspension with rear sway bar, but they had heavy duty coil springs up front with different shock absorbers. All SS's had SS door panel emblems in 69 as well as the dash emblem and steering wheel emblem on the standard wheel. Also look for the stainless steel ring around the parking lights. Power Disc brakes were standard. The malibu dash is the same as the SS dash except for the hid-a-way wiper switch I think. The wipers actually went down below the back of the hood on the SS's. These last 2 items might not have came on the 2 door sedan SS's though.

The dash guages were not standard nor was a clock. Bucket seats were not standard and could be had with a console or without one.
I have a question for those that have 2 door sedans. Do those cars have astro-ventilation?

All SS's did not have chrome along the bottom of the car. As far as I know the only SS's from 68-72 that had chrome on the bottom from the factory could be a 68.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
All 300 Deluxe cars, hardtop or post sedan, did not have hideaway wipers standard, but they were an option. Hideaways were standard on all Malibus. Post 2 door sedans, and all 4 door cars had vent windows and no Astro ventilation. Only 2 door hardtops, including 300 Deluxe hardtops, and convertibles had Astro ventilation and no vent windows in '69. 4 dr Hardtops had vent windows and no Astro vent.

------------------
My '69 SS

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Front turn signal lenses have a chrome trim aroung them.

Look on the dash bezel above the glove box.
Should say SS.

Car is Blue

------------------
<A HREF="http://nacs.net/~drunion/First_Page.html/
" TARGET=_blank>http://nacs.net/~drunion/First_Page.html/
</A> 69 Chevelle
454 .030 10.5:1
373 posi
M21 4spd.
12.30 @111 mph
License Plate:NTHE 12S
Me running a 12.63

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
plain69:

From previous posts on this board, there are a few that claim to have original cars that did not have the door panel SS emblems (instead malibu emlems I think). It was thought that there may have been a shortage at a certain plant. Otherwise I would agree for Malibus - note that the 300 SS cars had the std 300 deluxe interior without the SS on the door panels.

I beleive the HD suspension without the swaybar is the F40. Can you confirm that Von?

It was my understanding that the hideaway wiper switch was the same switch as the std wipers, but it was the wiper motor itself that was different.
Von is correct, hide-away optional on 300 SS cars, std on malibus (not certain about elkys though?)

As to the chrome ring around the parking lights - I agree it should be there. Now Elkys have different lenses all together - did they also have the chrome ring on SS equipped models?? Anyone know??

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Another small detail item that people overlook when cloning an SS car is the left side tail pipe hanger that's spotwelded on the frame from the factory for a dual exhaust car. Yes you could have dual on a small block car, but most clones are made from a plain Jane Malibu.

·
Registered
374 Posts
M13 3 speed standard was standard trans for SS.
Options for 4 speeds and the turbo 350 were available.

Heck . . . there were over 86 THOUSAND SS CHEVELLES BUILT IN 69 the most of ANY year SS production. Sooo . . . good chance if it has most of the parts, it is real!!

------------------
Mr. D

72 454 El Camino turbo400
68 Camaro RS/SS 350 M4
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro M4
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 WWW LT-1 Caprice A4
An all GM site http://www.gmforums.com

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Parking lights also had black paint around the edges besides the trim. The upper rear end braces are also a good one to look for.

Jimmy, I have never seen a tack welded hangar on any of the SS or COPO cars I have done. I would like to see a picture if you have one for my info to keep.

------------------
Micky Hale Restorations
69 L-89 Chevelle
68 Biscayne 427/425
34 Plymouth Drag Car
ACES #134
www.mickyhale.com

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Mickey, I am by no means an expert or claiming I know this for sure, but on the 69 SS I had (real for sure), It had 'hangers' welded to the frame on both sides. It sure looked factory to me. My 69 Z-28 had the same thing. I'm sure you've seen many more real factory built cars than I have. Did any of those cars have one on e at least the right side?

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Jimmy, I was hoping it was something I havent seen so I have more info. Hope you didnt take it like I was questioning your judgement. The ones I have not seen are not like that, but I wont say all were that way. All of the original hangars I have seen, bolted on the top of the rear frame rail. A Camaro I know has a different set up for a dual ex.

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
One item I didn't see mentioned is that IF it has paint codes 72 (Hugger Orange), 76 (Daytona Yellow), or 79 (Rallye Green), it would be an SS. I may be wrong but I think these colors were "suppose" to only be available with the SS package.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
Dale, Rallye Green on a '69? That's a new one on me.

------------------
My '69 SS

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Sometimes the holes will show it is an SS clone. When they convert a Malibu to an SS they have to drill holes for SS trim or fill holes for Malibu trim. You can tell the difference between factory holes and holes made with a hand drill. Look at the holes for the trim between taillights. Look for filled holes in quarter panel where Malibu emblem may have been. (If car has original quarters). I looked at a car for a friend that was supposed to be an SS with original sheet metal. It had holes welded closed in fenders and quarters where they changed all the trim parts from Malibu to SS.

·
Registered
142 Posts
On the core support looking at it from the engine side in the lower lh corner behind the radaitor there is a 38 in yellow and on the front gravel pan ( its hard to see because its under the grill) there wil be ss in white crayon. Now if the car was repainted these marks may be gone but this is no bull crap info I have seen with my own eyes on an unmolested car built in Framingham Mas. with 16000 miles. Take a look on your car and see if its there and post the findings if it is..

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
My dealer's brochure list Monaco Orange and Daytona yellow as the only SS specific colours. The listed greens (not SS only) are: Frost & Fathom Green.

Edit: Here is the referenced page

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 10-26-2001).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.