Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just purchased a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 that I was told is numbers matching. The transmission housing has one number, the transmission istelf has another and the engine block has the numbers T 0831CTB 121119992 punched on the block. Other than being an idiot to buy this car sight unseen, does anyone know how to decipher what type of engine is in the car? Oh yeah, T7 is punched just below the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well here's what I came up with:

Engine Code: T0831CTB
T= Tonawanda Assembly plant
08= August
31= 31st. day of month
CTB= 1972 402CID 240HP 4barrel with auto transmission

As far as the 121119992 number, if it were matching numbers it should correspond with the serial # on the dash plate. IMHO it's not a matching number car/engine. If I made a mistake someone let me know. Sorry, I hope you didn't pay to much!

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh. Thanks for the info. I just called him to see what his response was and the backpeddalling began. I apreciate the information.

·
Registered
48 Posts
69 was one of the easiest years to clone, there was no seperate numbers to identify ss on vin, look at it this way(if you didn't pay to much) you still have a chevelle with a big block! unless your a collector buying for investment?

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
Boy-oh-boy it never seems to amaze me that there are such crooks out there. This is down right fraud. I would go back to the original owner and get my money back or if you like the car agree on the correct price. This just plain sucks....
But a lesson learned!!
I have a 69SS without the matching numbers and couldn't be happier. It sports a real nice 427 with edelbrock heads and performer RPM cam and such. It will set you back in the seat and sounds real mean.. Good luck with the car...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Todd, You can have alot of fun with that
car. I think John Force said it once,"You
can't put a price on a good time!" Besides
if the cars clean,runs good and YOU like it
who cares. Just wondering, what was the final
price, if you don't mind saying?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.