Chevelles.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
"Initial advance is 22 degrees, mechanical advance is 10 degrees, 32 degrees total, vacuum advance is not used."

Hilarious, absolutely NO fixing it that way.
Alright educate me, what is the right way to fix it? I'm just trying to learn... If i am doing something dumb please tell me, no need to mock me.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Try setting timing at 36-38* at 3000 rpm. Then check it at idle just for future reference. It does not matter what idle timing is as long as it starts and stops like it should. You might need more timing with that cam.

·
Premium Member
6,966 Posts
Getting good idle quality and low speed manners is a challenge with big cams. It can be done, but it's a long and winding road. And for me personally, loose and/or high stall speed converters suck for street driving. At some point you have to decide if that big cam is worth the hassle. JMHO

Reactions: p40

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
the bigger the cam, the more time it spends parked in the garage. old news.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Years ago Holley came out with a bright aluminum carb that the top came off like a Q jet. I thought cool and bought one. After a year trying to get that thing dialed in I sold it. Put the 750 back on and all was great again. Big cam, high stall, it will work on the street with proper carb and ignition tuning.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts