Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to re-wire my Chevelle. The car is mostly stock and I will be keeping it that way retaining existing gauges, etc... Prior to my purchasing the car, an Alpine security system was installed, as well as an aftermarket stereo system. As a result of those installations and 34 years of who knows what else, the underdash is mess and the underhood wiring isn't much better. Additionally, the fuse for the stereo system (at the fuse block) keeps blowing. Trying to track anything down under the dash is a nightmare. I would like to just replace all the wiring so I can start fresh, know what I have, and have everything neat and clean. My question is this, is re-wiring a car, using the Painless 18 circuit kit, really as easy as they make it sound? I've never rewired a car before and consider myself a fairly amateur mechanic. I would appreciate any recommendations. :confused:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My opinion only.
Depending on experience Painless isn't that bad to work with. However, if you don't have as strong a background as others, go with M & H. These are made identical to the original. With a copy of the Chevelle factory assembly manual, these harnesses are the easiest and quickest to install. M & H are more expensive so there's a cost versus labor tradeoff.
www.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think John's right on. I've done the Painless route on a Nova and now I am using M&H stuf for my Chevellef. I also consider myself an amateur when it comes to electrical. Of course when I did mine I had my old man available (NASA electrical engineer) to sort out any problems.

With the Painless kit I could never get my wipers to work. That was the only problem I really encountered. The Painless kit takes more time but I actually found it very enjoyable. It is much cheaper than M&H stuff but takes much longer because you have to route and terminate everything. And I would recommend a good quality crimper to make things easier.

Currently I am using M&H stuff for my '70 Chevelle. Since it is basically exactly like the factory wiring it is infinitely easier to install than the Painless. However, the cost is much higher than the Painless. Also, I am finding the wait time to be very long with the M&H stuff (3+ months for Console harnesses?!
)

If you can afford it and want that stock/factory look than go with M&H. However, if you plan on installing a lot of electrical accessories like fans and stuff and/or find the cost of M&H prohibitive, then perhaps the Painless kit is for you.
Good luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used a painless harness on my 70 Chevelle a few years ago. I had the entire car disassembled and it still probably took me 30-40 hrs total to do it. I too never could get my wipers to work :confused: I added alot of aftermarket accesories such as electric fan, water pump, fuel pump, trans brake and so on so the Painless approach worked well for me. If I were doing a stock restoration, I would use M&H based on what I have heard on this board.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to those of you who responded. I'm glad I took the time to check into it before proceeding. Looks like I will be going with the M&H system despite the cost and apparent lead time issues. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate to be the one to introduce FUD (fear,uncertainty, and doubt) into the mix here, but I would definitely make some upgrades to the stock replacement system given the accessories you mention and the weak, exerternally regulated alternator and limitations of the stock charging system. The stock alternator on my 71 conv just died, and because I plan to add a large cooling fan, I'm doing the conversion to a 94amp Delco 12SI internally regulated alternator to handle the load. In my own post from last week, I was referred to the MAD Enterprises (www.madelectrical.com). Not only are there kits for several popular upgrades, but the Electrical Tech section contains a very valuable explanation/diagram of how the stock main power up system works. As a result of reading the site material and talking at length with Mark Hamilton (who essentially is MAD Ent) I decided to purchase the NEW POWER SYSTEM, which contains many important upgrades at once for a discount. In addition to the conversion kit for the alternator upgrade, you also upgrades such as an insulated terminal block and relays to handle the accessories. I can't wait till it gets here, although I'm not going to all the upgrades at once. Something to think about given your accessories and the trouble your already going to with the stock replacement harnesses.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What is the biggest problem with the stock fuse box? i did add a 100amp alt to my car, and a modern radio. is it that there are not enough spaces on the box for accessaries? electric fan, etc.. in my other post im having a drain problem i only have the alt and modern radio. 1cool70 i have the same nightmare under my dash, i plan on riping everything out and starting over too, so i know what is what under there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, All this dash crap makes me sick. I have had so many problems. I have ripped out my dash four times now and it still doesnt work right. With all the times i have taken it out, i have become an expert at it. I think i am going to get a painless system and start totally over, nice a clean and not wires going everywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts