Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got the #1 piston at TDC, the valves are closed, the rotor is pointing to the #1 position on the cap. when i put the timing light to it sit at about 4 deg. and runs ok at an idle. then i speed up to 2,000 or so an the timing mark only goes to 10deg? last year i set the total to 32 deg with no problem at all .
the weight are free and when i disconnect the vacuum we stall. ahhhhh should the vacuum be disconnected for the total setting? seemed like it should be hooked up to get all possible advance. yes, no, maybe. big time frustration!!!
thanks for any insight. john

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
TOTAL advance is exactly that. Both vacuum and mechanical.

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you setting the timing with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged? If not you are setting the timing with the dsitributor already advanced. And when you unhook the vacuum advance are you plugging the line? It will stall if you are hooked up to manifold vacuum. You should be on ported vacuum. On manifold vacuum you will have nearly instant full vacuum advance. If your vacuum advance is all already in, the only advance you are picking up on your light is the extra centrifigal you are gaining between idle and 2000 RPM......Gary

·
Registered
548 Posts
Here we go again! The vacuum advance is hooked to ((("MANIFOLD VACUUM")))if it was hooked to ported there would be no need to disconnect it to set timming.It is supposed to advance the timming after you set initial...FRED

------------------

L

·
0 Posts
GT is right; disconnect and plug the vacuum advance, then set total timing. Doing otherwise will give you a false total advance number, because at WOT there isn't any vacuum for the vac. adv. to work.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Larry if there is no vacuum at WOT how would the vacuum advance give a false reading?OK disconnect it plug the fitting. BUT it is still hooked to MANIFOLD vacuum,so you will have vacuum advance at idle.Then as the throttle is opened the vacuum advance will retard the timming according to engine load...FRED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.