Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Grant steering wheel on my 71 Elky. The horn stopped working so I removed the wheel to investigate. The little plastic contact had lost it's spring tension so I replaed the spring and it worked again. The problen is getting everything back together. That friggin small lock ring is very hard to re-install on the shaft. I can't seem to compress the outer ring enough to get the lock ring back on. Any ideas guys.

Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
One idea is to get a lock ring compression tool from Kragen. However, if you are short of money this week, this works. Used it on a lot of 70s and 80s cars and trucks. Let's see how well I can describe it. What you need is a part from the electrical department used for house wiring. It's a ¾ (3 quarter inch) flexible (flex) conduit coupling. It has threads on both sides with a hex in the center. They run about $0.35. Clamp the center hex area in a vice and cut off one of the threaded areas right next to the center hex. The part you want is the center hex with the one threaded end.
On the column put on the plate and slide the ring on the shaft. Take the part you just made and slide it on the shaft with the hex end up. Push down on the plate with one hand and start the large steering wheel nut on the thread of the column. The nut pushes against the hex head as you tighten it down. As it goes down it pushes the ring down until it drops into the grove.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I know what you are talking about. I knew I was not the first one to have this problem but I could not find the answer in a search. I'm off to the hardware store.

thanks again, Patrick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks John, it worked like a charm.

Patrick

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carnut108:
Many thanks John, it worked like a charm.

Patrick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on to that "expensive" tool. Made one years ago and still have it. The softer steel of the conduit fitting won't hurt the splines on the shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts