Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry i'm terribly new to all this car stuff=) but i'm willing to listen and learn.

The car i'm planning on purchasing is in very good condition .. some crome =) .. everything is in great condition and the like. LOVE THE SOUND!. guy added a new distributer system, and it all seems to work very well.. but the engine is a LS4 .. from the looking around ive done its only rated at 345hp.. vs. the 365 hp LS5.. while the 20hp drop sucks.. i think the other 345 poneys can pull extra time =) but what i was wondering is how bad is this engine.. Touque is ___ much worse than LS5?... Any other drawbacks... Also, is there a way to upgrade the engine to produce 50 or so more HP.... (of course i know theres A WAY.. but i was wondering what the cheapest is) Thanks for your help =)

-Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aside fromt he above.. here is more info on the car.. and the price.

454 LS4
Interior White Leather IMMACULATE! (all seats work perfectly and no rips ect.)
All dash inst. are right on the money
Stock radio
Oil, and Techometer mounted in middle
Tilt wheel
Automatic
Red with white stripe's
No rust on body
Little rust in trunk, under mat.
Crome in engine
Big ass air filter =)
Cowl induction
crome wheels
Breaks right on the money

This is a daily driver for me if i buy.

10,000$ is the price

I can get more info .. just ask and ye shall recive.. thanks for your time guys(and gals) =)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sounds like a very, very nice ride and here in western NY 10G's is what you pay for a nice ride like that. Don't fret on the HP/torque issue. Buy a bottle you baby!( No2 of course).

BTW, I haven't been there in a bit but there is a wonderful section in , I believe tech reference, on this site that deals with buying a car, specifically one like that. Please find it. It is an excellent resource to read before you play ball.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-19-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The LS4 specs vary depending on the year. In '70 the LS4 was just an LS5 with a milder cam. It was only offered in the Big Cars that year. Torque was the same as an LS5 or 6 at 500 lbs./ft., but at a lower rpm (3000). Also it carried a large diameter single(!) exhaust. It is nothing to turn it into LS5 specs.
The LS4 disappeared for '71 but reappeared for '72 for use in Big Car wagons (Brookwood - Kingswood Estate). I'll have to dig out the cam specs some time, but for now I'll saw that it was nothing more than a single exhaust 454 rated at 230 net h.p. (vs. 270 for the LS5) & 360 net lbs./ft. @3200 rpm (vs. 390 @ 3200 for the LS5).
For '73 the LS5 wasn't mentioned anymore, it was just LS4. The Chevelle, Monte Carlo & Big Cars were rated at 245 net hp. @ 4000 rpm & 375 lbs./ft @ 2800. The Corvette was rated at 275 hp. @ 4400 & 395 lbs./ft @ 2800. The Corvette LS4 carried a forged crank with the 4 spd. only; all others got a cast crank starting in '73. Also starting in '73 the LS4 option was a dual exhaust engine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Don't forget though that the LS-4 has the same compression at 10.25 as the LS-5 engine. The only difference is the cam shaft they use the old 325hp 396 cam which only has .398 lift compared to the LS-5's .461 or so lift.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.