Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 461 and it runs hot even with no thermostat in it. Can the tranny make it run hot if I'm using the coller in the radiator? I have a big 3 row (stock)in my 73 SS Chevelle and I'm not sure if I need a bigger radiator or remove the tranny lines from the radiator and run a separate cooler independent fo it. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to run a thermostat, If you don't have the restriction that a thermostat provides then the water will just flow through and not pick up heat from around the cylinder walls. A remote trans cooler will help both the trans and the radiator. A new radiator couldn't hurt. I run a chevy pick-up four row/ tow truck radiator in my 69 Elk.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my 468 I installed about 2 months ago. I changed the thermostat to 160 degree, replaced the fan clutch to a new heavy duty thermal, and flushed out radiator real good. Now, it runs 180 degrees normally and only creeps to 195-200 when sitting in traffic or at the drive-thru.
Let me know if you have any further questions regarding my setup.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
321 Posts
Add to the great suggestions here the following:

1- proper fan shroud

2- a good solid steel fan (I use a 7 blade)

3- a heavy duty thermostatic fan clutch

I've discussed how my set up has worked for me in the past. Goto http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/001571.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.