Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, are they works of art or junk yard rejects, my self, who would make a car look like crap on purpose...

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,694 Posts
Well no need to spend crazy $$$$$ on body & paint and don't worry about scratches or Cats crawling on them :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I have been told my truck is a rat rod but I feel it is just an old truck I got running.
Yea Ford running gear and Chevy engine.
Doge truck.
Some people go out of their way to make something look ratty I did not do that and never have done it.
There was always plenty of clapped out junk to build.

I only painted a couple of my cars and did that to protect the metal or to sell them.
I drive beaters or camo cars mostly.

My Dodge truck.. May not qualify as a rat rod.. just old rusty truck I do not know.
I have been told by strangers they like my rat rod look.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I think they are works of art. some might look like a hodgepodge of parts but some are really well thought out. jim

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am NOT a fan. Sadly, I've had to own less than pristine vehicles all my life, and the LAST thing in the world I want is something PURPOSELY made to look like that. I have no issue with unique combinations of parts and works in progress, but when you start painting on fake rust and patina, I'm out.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Not a rat rod in the true sense, but then what is?....this one won't receive anything but spare parts .... no high dollar paint, no calls to Legendary, just a throwback to the time I couldn't afford gas. Been yearning for something I have no problem sitting outside, driving on gravel roads, leaning on, or sitting a beer on.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
My very first car, 51 Chevy, which I still drive regularly (bought it in 62 from Granddad just before going to Nam).

Right after I bought it from Granddad, I rented a trailer to take all my personal stuff to Ft. Sam Houston.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

This is how I had the 51 fixed up before getting out of the Army in 64.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

This is how it looks almost 58yrs later. The grill now has 1954 teeth instead of the 54 Pontiac grill bar (I regret the change!!!). It has a STRONG 389SB with 1957 2x4 carbs, batwing air cleaner, COLD primative air cond on R12, Muncie/Hurst shifter and 3.08 posi in a 57 axle housing.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Steering part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
A classic with patina and a rat rod are two very different things in my mind. Rat rods are made to look junky, steam-punky, deathtrappy. I'm not really a fan of those... Will admit some are cool to look at, but I'd never own one.

Classics with patina is a different animal... In some cases It's a pushback against overrestored classics... Then there's the ironic version where people will pay to have a car or truck patina'd which is basically doing all body and paint, then aging it for the look. Many classics with patina will still have fully restored or custom interiors, restored/updated drivetrain and suspension.. just looking worn out on the outside.

I am 100% a fan of that and really like that look on some vehicles... I think it's cool, and it's certainly affordable.

As with everything, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Tom I went on a lot of summer holidays as a kid in a car like that 51 grey Chev. That brought back some memories...Wow
Glad you kept it.

yes have to agree with Ben here rat rod versus patina...I wouldn't want to own a real Rat Rod...tetanus and all. kidding...but a nice patinaed car anytime.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I would not consider any of the vehicles shown above as rat rods. Just a collection of well worn cars and trucks with a lot of character. I like some rat rods seen at shows that are not 'over the top'. But really question how safe some of the ones I have seen are. But, as already said, to each their own.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I built a ratty looking 64 f100 on a 2011 PI crown Vic from Copart 80k miles $326
I used the complete frame, wiring harness, mated a under the dash blower/evaporator using the crown Vic ac system.
I paid $1000 for the truck.
I had fun building it took about 4 months I spent 4K total $1600 was interior.
I drove it a couple times to make sure all was okay. I took it to a car show with a for sale sign. It was listed 1 week and sold for a nice profit. First guy that drove it bought it.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
3,969 Posts
The source of today's "rat rods" was likely cars from years ago.

Here is a car built by a friend about 1960. A kid in a small town far away from big cities who wanted a hot rod that would go fast. He had little money but he put together a car that was fast and reliable. It was his daily driver for several years.

In today's world people would insult him and call it a rat rod but it was all he could afford. No money for fancy wheels or paint job. A 34 ford 3 window coupe with a 390 Oldsmobile, tri power and a Lincoln Zephyr transmission.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
"Rat Rod"...has to be a "Rod" as in "Hot Rod". The only Rod I see above is the one Verle posted, DZ's T-Bucket excepted. The other ones are mostly just old cars/pickups, some with aftermarket wheels. Just one man's $0.02.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
The source of today's "rat rods" was likely cars from years ago.

Here is a car built by a friend about 1960. A kid in a small town far away from big cities who wanted a hot rod that would go fast. He had little money but he put together a car that was fast and reliable. It was his daily driver for several years.

In today's world people would insult him and call it a rat rod but it was all he could afford. No money for fancy wheels or paint job. A 34 ford 3 window coupe with a 390 Oldsmobile, tri power and a Lincoln Zephyr transmission.

View attachment 730086 View attachment 730087 View attachment 730088
Yup I get that, lots of stories like that. It is one thing to do the best ya can with what $$$$s you have. IMHO it is another thing to set out from the get go to build something that looks like a POS.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I have been told my truck is a rat rod but I feel it is just an old truck I got running.
Yea Ford running gear and Chevy engine.
Doge truck.
Some people go out of their way to make something look ratty I did not do that and never have done it.
There was always plenty of clapped out junk to build.

I only painted a couple of my cars and did that to protect the metal or to sell them.
I drive beaters or camo cars mostly.

My Dodge truck.. May not qualify as a rat rod.. just old rusty truck I do not know.
I have been told by strangers they like my rat rod look.

View attachment 730040
That truck is not a rat rod, it's the epitome off a cool old truck, I like it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts