Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well Im having starter problems, im going to get the ford solenoid right now but am wondering if there could be another problem. I just had a starter go out after 1 week. before dying it sounded very raspy and scratchy
was just wondering if anyone could tell my problem from that sort of a sound. thanx
Justin Mciver

W

·
0 Posts
Justin, it could be the starter is draging. I have heard the sound before, shimming the starter on a small or big block is not a normal deal. You need to be sure the starter is installed with real starter bolts, not just long 3/8 bolts.

Have a look at the gear on the starter and the back side of the flywheel, see if it looks funky.

Test the starter on the bench, look for the gear to come all the way out and spin freely with little noise.

A word of warning, that starter will kick mightly it it's any good at all, so hold on.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the correct starter bolts. and the teeth are not engaging all the way (I think)
what can I do to check the tooth alignment if I dont have the right feeler gauge?

W

·
0 Posts
This could be a nose problem. There are several different nose configuration for the starters, there are also shims on the gear shaft between the end of the shaft and the gear. Unless the gear is so badly aligned and it hit the flywheel and deflects, not engaging.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
133 Posts
To go along with what Wally has said, make sure you have good cables too. Also if you are running a higher compression engine, you may need to look at getting a steel nose high output starter. I've seen a dozen or so diffrent things that have caused this very same problem for other folks. Gets to be a pain tracking it down.

------------------
Mike Hurta
(Aug98)
Gold#25
www.chevelles.com/feature/aug98.html

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for all of your help. I just got back from NAPA, got a new starter, solenoid, and cables. the only thing I diddnt get was the main power cable it runs from the trunk and is under a year old so I diddnt want to spend the money. I also got a solenoid sheild that mounts and the chevy starter solenoid. I'll keep you posted about how it worked out. thanx again
Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.