Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare or unusual 70 Chevelle options/colors

23K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  abodybill 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody new what was the rarest 70 Chevelle color.My guess would be misty turquoise.Only seen one.As for options can you believe an AM/FM 8 track cost more then the LS6 option over $100 more!Only a few bucks less then A/C!Anybody seen that in a Chevelle?I heard of a LS6 chevelle with 4 wheel discs.Never read about that option!BS or what???

#3 ·
Rarest option I've seen is a turn indicator with a windshield washer button in the center. I saw this option on an original SS about 10 years ago. I know this option was available on the 70 Monte Carlo as well.

------------------
Robert

www.classiccarlot.com (15% discount for my fellow Chevelle owners!)

#4 ·
Well, lets see...my first '70 was an SS396, it's paint code was 55 10...Champagne Gold with a White painted top, documented by the build sheet.
My second '70 had an AM/ 8-track. No FM
My third '70, a documented LS6, Fathom Blue, with blue CLOTH bench seat interior.(SS cars were supposed to have vinyl seats)
I know of a Misty Turquoise LS6 here in town. I would guess the rarest color to be code 63, Desert Sand.

#5 ·
First of all Jason, the headlight washers were in '69 Chevelles. Look in a 1970 Assembly manual, they were going to be offered in '70's but Chevy axed the idea.

Am/Fm/8-track, expensive yes, but a helluva piece of electronic equipment for the time period. It utilized some "hi-tech" integrated circuits for back then.

Yes, I'll cast my vote for the "Electro-tip windshield washers" this was the button at the end of the turn signal lever that activated a few swipes at the button's touch. ULTRA RARE to see it at all today.

Misty turquoise-yikes, never did like that color, saw a '70 4-door with it yuck! That was sort of a retro '50s color wannabe in my opinion.

#6 ·
Well...I don't know about rare options, but I do know about a fairly common option that I have found on my '70. It came with a wallet strainer built right in. It's amazing, I sit in the car and my wallet gets lighter. It's even more efficient than my WIFE!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

#8 ·
Good suggestions all. Don't forget the rare U46 light monitoring system. '70 was the last year for that rare option on Chevies. It used fiber optics to monitor lights and routed them up to little fender top indicators and a little center-mounted indicator on the rear hat shelf. I don't know how many '70s came with it, but only 113 Chevelles came with it when it debuted in '67!

#9 ·
I forgot to mention, that little traction dispenser that Alan F submitted was rpo YF5. It consisted of a remote-controlled aerosol can (cans) of Dow Chemical traction compound. Yes, I know you're thinking about dragging, but I actually think it was ice melter. It was really rare & obscure, and most certainly ended up on rust belt cars. There probably isn't a single surviving example. (It was a '69-only option I think).

#10 ·
The best way to see all of the options availiable for any Chevy is to look at the assembly manual for the given car. You can learn a lot about the options, including the ones they cancelled.

------------------
Del Woodcock, A.C.E.S. #1563
Team Chevelle #137
http://www.2xtreme.net/dellw
67 Malibu 283 M35
97 Z28 LT1 6-Speed

#14 ·
Here's some info for an May 1995 issue of Super Chevy Magazine. The rarity of 1970 models.

RPO/Description/Quanity
AQ2 Electric Seat Back Release 663
AS4 Rear seat shoulder harness deluxe 273
A41 Front seat electric control 4-way 637
A42 Drivers bucket seat electric control 4-way 546
A90 Electric trunk release 987
CD3 Electro-Tip W/S wiper control 331
K30 Cruise control 730
LS6 454/460hp 4475
L78 396/375hp 2144
L89 Aluminum heads 18
M22 HD 4-speed trans
MK1 Cushion grip steering wheel 3078
UM2 AM/FM stereo tape 4532
Z15 SS454 Equipment 8773
Z25 SS396 Equipment 53599

#15 ·
elcamino,

AS4 Rear seat shoulder harness deluxe 273

Any idea how/where these were mounted/looked like? Were they retractable or were they very similar to the ones in the front?
Any information would be most helpful!
Thanks!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

#16 ·
In regards to the Shadow Grey LS-6, I believe I know the car, as the owner lives a bout 2 hours away. We've been at some of the same shows, and his car also has an AM/FM 8-track and a Cushion Grip steering wheel! That car is nice! My LS-6 also came equipped with the AM/FM 8-track, and I finally tracked the right one down, had it rebuilt, and now I enjoy my parents previously useless 8 tracks! Hows that for full circle?!

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold Member #85
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here:
ortrackm.missouri.org/~yenko

#17 ·
Not a 70 but I have the headlight washers on my 69 and they still work.
Well actually I shouldn't say they work because all they do is squirt water on the head lights and what good would that do on a hot head light with no wiping acion.
I have never seen another Chevelle with them (yet)

------------------
Dean Call
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

#19 ·
Riffers70,

The assembly manual lists the AS4 deluxe rear shoulder harness as a non-illustrated option. I would presume they may have been used in mostly 4 doors?

As for tissue dispeners, as far I have ever seen they are dealer accessories, not regular production options.

#21 ·
Why is it that the LS-6 gets all the attention for rarity when apparently there were even fewer LS-5's ??? IMHO

#22 ·
LevonH said:
Why is it that the LS-6 gets all the attention for rarity when apparently there were even fewer LS-5's ??? IMHO

IMHO
I don't think it gets its attention due to rarity, I think is has to do with the size of the nuts these things have!

Back in the 60's and 70's if you pulled up to a red light and the car next to you had a Hemi in it and you had a LS-5, what do you think your chances of smoking the Hemi would be? Play the same scene but this time you're packing a LS-6, now you've evened the odds and brought a gun to a gun fight!

It's all about bragging rights and title, many still refer to the LS-6 as the King of the Hill... and I'm one of them..

Gibby

#23 · (Edited)
True about the King Of The Hill, however, from a rarity point of view (see title of post wrt options) the LS-5 has fewer installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.