Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just scored a complete dash/guage assembly from a yard, and started to dis-assemble it for cleaning.

Had to pick the ign. lock
to get the switch out of the plastic dash, but then noticed something....

This Ignition switch is illuminated! There's a little side compartment cast into it, with a bulb socket. It can't light up the ACC,LOCK,OFF,RUN,START as the plastic's opaque. Does it shine through the keyhole to give you something to aim at??

Never seen one of these on a '64, and I've got 4 other dash assemblies. Did a search here and no result either.

Rare option, or wrong/different model/later year switch?? (Remember, it DOES have the LOCK & OFF positions).

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go:

The edges of the oval part (with bulb) has crimp marks on it. I'm assuming there was a little piece of tin in this as a cover (gone on mine). The only numbers on it are a "610" and a "5" on the pot metal, and the connection points "Sol", "Bat", etc. molded in the bakelite rear part. There is also a large "D-R" in the bakelite - I'm assuming Delco-Remy.

I'd guess that with the "cover" in place the light would shine into the 1/4" slot directly forward of the bulb, and light up the keyhole.
Update: I covered the area with some tape and took a "night" shot - There's just enough light right in the keyhole to guide you, and not stab/scratch the dashboard!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Originally posted by John D:
Rare option, or wrong/different model/later year switch??
Ok John, I finally remembered to look it up for you.
That 610 # translates to 1116610 and is listed as an ignition switch for 61-63 full size Chevrolets. Maybe the plant had leftovers from the 1963 run and was using them up on anything they could. No matter, it's a nice little touch either way. :cool:

·
Premium Member
18,161 Posts
Im sure the switch was likely replaced with this switch. Even though there isnt a key with it, take it to a locksmith like Minneapolis lock and key and have a key made for it.

The first thing I would have thought before reading dyno john's response was that it may have been from a Cadillac. They seem to have the cool options because they are Cadillacs.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing it was a replacement for an Impala or other. The "original" cylinder that was in it had a flat stainless cover on it, not the one in the picture with the "ears".

After picking the original cylinder and removing, I installed a (correct) cylinder that I've got a key for. If it goes in my car I'll put my cylinder in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts