Chevelles.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
Dave has published part numbers for good oil filled coils. one of them was available at O'Reillys.

Dave = Dave Ray = Ignitionman = Dave's Small Body HEIs. Probably the best ignition guy around, but sometimes abrasive posting habits often have him banned from various sites.

Reactions: blue_69_malibu

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
MSD coils have been dubious since production moved from Andover Industries in Andover, Indiana, to Pro-bobbin in Juarez, Mexico in 2004, just across the border from MSD in El Paso. Now, MSD coils are made in China, still one of the worst coils one can waste money on, ESPECIALLY ANY AND ALL EPOXY FILLED COILS.

Andover coils were top notch, the rest are just plain junk.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Holley sells a E-coil for your Sniper. Sniper EFI is printed on it. I have no idea where it is made, but probably China. Part Number 556-152 at Summit.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Such a shame MSD has gone to crap. Still "known" as the go to brand in ignition, but time and time again I hear about how their product isn't what it used to be, and certainly isn't worth the price.

Is there any quality brand when it comes to ignition systems?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Such a shame MSD has gone to crap. Still "known" as the go to brand in ignition, but time and time again I hear about how their product isn't what it used to be, and certainly isn't worth the price.

Is there any quality brand when it comes to ignition systems?
Heard nothing but good about Daytona Sensors. If and when I decide to replace my MSD rusty guts distributer, I will probably buy all the Daytona stuff and rid myself completely of MSD. I had heard a few people say MSD tech support also sucks and has total *******s employed there. Well, I gave them the benefit of doubt when I had to call them but, they proved the talk on the street to be true. Between their junk products and their terrible support, I'm done with them.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Dont think daytona sensor distributors have vaccum advance for us that want that?

My msd stuff has worked great and their customer support has always been great if I needed to ask or get help. Have three distributors bought 08, 09 and 17 all works perfect and no e of them shows lot of rust. Two pro billets and one ready to run. Price was same 08 as 17 for the pro billet, that tells me something has changed. The two first had made in Us on the boxes the last didnt so asked msd about it and the tech said they had outsourced some parts to compete in price against others but assembled in el Paso. Even the cheap gm/ac delco hei is asian made and the more expensive pro billet is msd Ive been told.

Two blaster ss coils bought 08 and 09 works after lots of use and thousands street miles.
Both made in china. Bought two crane coils from summit before they was sold says made in the Us. Also has one fast coil that also sats made in us? All are oil filled?

One msd #6421 box bought 09 thousands of street miles and so far no problem.

Pertronix distributors maybe for Us that want vac advance and Us made distributor? Says made in Us on their homepage? Used a couple on cars I worked on and they seems like nice quality and all still are working.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
Dave thanks for posting, I have an older MSD digital 6, blaster coil, and distributor(more than 7 years). Not sure on dates, very solid when last run, what coils are recommended, or a link to a list. Thank you

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
Yes, Dave, thx for stopping by. you used to have a list of decent coils, I remember an O'Reillys was on there. I think that was 5 years ago so no doubt things have changed.

Got any recommends? are you vending anything known good?

Reactions: paul bell

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Had a set of MSD cut to length plug leads delivered today. Says on the box, 'Assembled' in Mexico, but nothing about where they are made. I suppose you just have to guess....

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Had a set of MSD cut to length plug leads delivered today. Says on the box, 'Assembled' in Mexico, but nothing about where they are made. I suppose you just have to guess....
I have used plenty of Chinese HEI dists.
Dont see what you rant after chinese distributor is fine? Whats wrong with matchning sparkplug wires for it?

Thats whathappens when you buy and promote chinese HEI`s for example, others have to lower their price and starts produce stuff in asia since you and others buy chinese ignition parts. Taylor is also a nice Us made spark plug wire if you need a nice set for your BB chevelle(still no pics that you promised me).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just yesterday with my buddies mustang on the dyno the car was breaking up around 6500 rpm 486hp

2 hours of checking everything we get to the coil which doesn't even have 5,000 miles on it and is a few years newer then mine (we have the same coil.)

MSD 8253 HVC II Coil for 6 Series Ignitions made in the USA +$200.00

When he said it could be the coil and goes to the drawer and pulls outs this mangy cruddy looking coil and slaps in there I'm thinking no way.

At about 5000rpm on the dyno I knew it was fixed sounded way different and pulled it to 7000 rpm picked up 11 hp to 497Hp

luck of draw I guess.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts