Team Chevelle banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been toying with the idea of letting go of my freshly restore 02 1500LS truck and picking up a "done" Camino fir a daily. Love the Silverado but its "too nice"...and too big really anymore .
Im retired so not commuting or sitting for hours in traffic.
Had someone ask in a parking lot if it was for sale, didnt flinch at the 12k figure I tossed at him. Didnt buy but didnt say "thats too much" either. Its nicer than the day I bought it new.

3 spd auto, 700r or? doesnt matter
Could be a non ac car provided I could buy and budge vintage AC. Dailys gotta have it .
Presentable paint and interior. Not perfect just decent. Suspension rebuilt.

Prefer a 71-2 for this but may be open to 68-75. No smog checks is the reason.

The 78-85 are roomier but dont want a smogged out sb and most are overpriced for what you get.

What realistically should I be looking at price wise?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think you should be able to get something your looking for between 12-18k imo

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
my buddy was trying to sell his 70 el camino last year for 12k ( probably would have taken 10), decent paint and interior, disc brakes, 12 bolt, ice cold air. after too many lowball offers, he blew it apart and it's getting his normal frame off treatment with a 454 4 speed, ss dash etc. jim

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
I'm going to look at a trailer today, they also have a 71 El Camino for sale. I've only seen one photo and it looks okay/driver quality and being from a dry area of Colorado there is a good chance the body & frame are solid. I'll take a quick look and see what they are asking for it. Likely too far away for you to consider but someone closer might be looking for one....

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Looked at and bought the trailer today and checked out the 71 El Camino. It's a one owner, pretty solid, and unmolested. Yellow/black vinyl top/350/at/ac/ps/pb/disks/12 bolt (? forgot to look to verify). Under hood looks to be 100% untouched/stock, fresh bench seat, and paint that is driver /20 or so footer. Claimed to only have small rust above rear wheel wells (welded in repair), can't verify but owners seam to be pretty upstanding folks.

If anyone is interested, PM me for contact info and a couple more quick photos I took

Attachments

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont mind the color, depends what shape the mechanicals/suspension are in
Whats he asking...is the underside rusty?
Was hoping 12 ougth to get me something Id be ok with.
Friend has a 70, cowl hood older but solid engine, rebuilt front end, paint inteiror kit but wants over 20.
Just not seeing it, tough time getting that much for mine. Caminos are a strange thing, overvalued or not enough of a following to get any money.
Putting some finishing touches on my 02 hoping I can trade or put a lil cash on top for the right one.
Really dont want to have to rebuild anything. Not expecting some show queen either. In fact dont want one, too much hassle to keep nice.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Dont mind the color, depends what shape the mechanicals/suspension are in
Whats he asking...is the underside rusty?
Was hoping 12 ougth to get me something Id be ok with.
Friend has a 70, cowl hood older but solid engine, rebuilt front end, paint inteiror kit but wants over 20.
Just not seeing it, tough time getting that much for mine. Caminos are a strange thing, overvalued or not enough of a following to get any money.
Putting some finishing touches on my 02 hoping I can trade or put a lil cash on top for the right one.
Really dont want to have to rebuild anything. Not expecting some show queen either. In fact dont want one, too much hassle to keep nice.
They have it advertised for 14k, I'd bet 12k would buy it. I didn't crawl under but I'd bet it's pretty solid, the area it's from is pretty dry and a (one owner from high desert Colorado) but you never know until you really look it over and hopefully get it in the air to poke around. I didn't have time to look very well.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will keep it in mind but with transport costs out here it would run up to high
Buddy called today who bought a 70 SS, fresh 468 T400 nice paint, interior etc
No ac but a real nice looking runner. Probably not a real SS but he doesnt care..looked like a good buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts