Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys didn't know where to put this so I put it here,hope not to make anyone mad. I saw these online Car lift/ramps - the simple unique patented MR1s for DIY mechanics I have approx 30ft of 2x6 x1/4 steel channel iron thinking of laying it down flat adding 2x2 x1/4 wings on each side and making my own. or laying 2 pieces side by side and welding them together buying some more channel so I can make 2 ramps 12'' wade by 12' long thoughts on 2x6 channel vs the weight of a 66 chevelle?

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,417 Posts
Those look a little chincy. I used to have a set of these but ended up selling them when I thought I was finished with old cars. Yeah right I should have kept them. They weren't cheap but were well built. They were the perfect height that your arms weren't squenched up next to your body or that you had to stretch them out to be able to work on the car.

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I appreciate the input I have been looking at kwik lift even called and talked to them just can't afford them new and can't find any used actually if I can just figure out what to make 12'long 12'' wide ramps that will hold the chevelle I am good.But they have to be only supported on the end like this Car lift/ramps - the simple unique patented MR1s for DIY mechanics or this http://www.kwik-lift.com/ I can build the ramps for now and use my trailer as the incline. Then I can build the end pieces later, I work a minimum wage job have a mortgage and a son,so I am going to have to build these myself on a low budget. I have a mig, a stick,a chop saw an oxy acetelene outfit and a drill press so if I can just figure out what material will work I can make the rest happen. Just so everyone knows 1 2x6x1/4 channel will not be stout enough I put it up on my drive on ramp then drove up it,it just bows.Someone has to have made some ridiculously long ridiculously strong trailer ramps that can guide me. I even looked on craigslist for some heavy equipment ramps but no luck. Thanks everyone. P.S. I live 11 miles from a metal recycleing yard so I can check there daily or whatever for cheap material thats where the 2x6x1/4 a little more than 20 feet for 20 bucks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
that corvette looks sketchy !:eek: google car ramps and look at images click on a image then click view more ! theres some very good ideas using angle iron lengths with angle iron ribs welded in between the lengths ! gonna be some heavy a** ramps ! the ones in your pics say each ramp weighs 175 lbs each gonna have to figure away to move those ramps around ! i would not want to drag those ramps around ! :noway:

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
When I sold my Kwicklift Ramps after owning them for about 10 years I advertised them for about 1/2 the price I paid for them new. I didn't know at that time that they had gone out of business. The guy that bought them said he was looking to buy a set but couldn't find any for sale so he jumped on mine when he saw the ad. Since then someone else has started to build them. The only thing that scares me with the set you want to build is using jack stands to support them in the back. These ramps were too heavy to move around and only having a two car garage I used to just pull my Camaro up on them to park it when I wasn't using it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I planed on parking on them when not in use. I have googled ramps for days,looked at thousands of pics but no one has posted what there build material is. Some of them even give diamensions but no one posts what material and what gauge of material.By experiamenting yesterday I have determined 2x6x1/4 is not stout enough. Kind of toying with the idea of using some sort of angle or gas pipe or steel tubing to make a big ramp a big triangle when looked at from the side so I could have braces running from the top rail to the bottom rail for ridgidty have a pieco of 2'' scedule 40 running from ramp to ramp top front and at the rear use the rear piece as a jack point to raise it.If I back on thren raise the ramps I will still be clear everywhere under the front end if I nose on everything will still be clear in the rear, I have looked at car dealer display ramps and jeep RTI ramps again can't find used or can't determine material. Dammint I still thing some heavy duty 12'' long ramps would be best cause I can use em as trailer ramps or turn the trailer sideways put them up and drive up then for doing repairs.Just gotta figure out how to make tough enough 12'12'' ramps. Thank You

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I just bought 4 usa made ramps at napa rated for 3000 pounds each and jack my car up and put them underneath the wheels.sketcy driveing onto any ramp unless the ground is completely level and dry.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
The ramps you show look a lot longer than 12'

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
The one thing you do want to add to the ramps up in front are a pole on each side because once you hit the ramps you have no idea where you are on them. I used white pvc pipe on mine and just used the copper half round clamps to screw them to the front stands.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have regular drive up ramps use em frequently not high enough for me. Yes I could make crib blocks and jack it up and set it on crib blocks,but really want long trailer ramps I can drive up and level out and even change the working hieght off just by how far my front pivot is from the ground. thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using them as examples the blue ramps are 13' the kwik jack ramps are adjustable 14' to? the chevelle is 115' wheel base so 144 inch ramps ought to do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't afford the quick jack and would have more use for some bad ass ramps. Put them on the trailer, pickup a car I'm going to scrap level the ramps out withe the trailer and support them push the dead car back onto the ramps, yank the convertor,and gas tank and whatever undo exhaust and everything push the car forward onto the trailer pull the trailer under the giant old church swing I use as a gantry crane,winch out the engine and trans then off to the crusher.Drive my car up on them change the oil,etc. and when I build the front supports I can put them in the garage or use them with the trailer,or as trailer ramps which I need anyway etc.etc. I make 5.60 per hour after taxes plus whatever I can scrape up junking cars. I can scrape up 30.00 at a time to buy more material to build badass ramps while I am at the scrapper anyways I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions but what I really need is someone who knows how to construct some stout enough ramps. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay I have reached the conclusion nobody thinks it can / or / should be done so what about if I put a brace at 1/3rd and 2/3rds now basically i have 3 - 4foot ramps how would you build a 4ft ramp 12'' wide to support 3500lbs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts