Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a Ram Jet cam in a new L31R and noticed the timing set seems loose and its a new never ran engine.
Are these motors (L31's) built with weak chains?
Should I upgrade to a double roller chain and gears?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I use the same L31 5.7R long block and went with a better chain. I have always thought that for the price, it's good insurance to have.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the same L31 5.7R long block and went with a better chain. I have always thought that for the price, it's good insurance to have.
Thanks,
any recommendations as to brand timing sets?
Seems like the set that comes with the new crate engine is cheesy

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
GMPP has a nice single roller one it is better then the one that comes with the crate engines.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I think mine is a Cloyes, but it's been 15 years since I did it. That Comp one should be good as long as it's the correct application, GM Perf's would be OK too, but most likely made by Comp or another good aftermarket brand and just re-packaged.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
Use the good Chevy single roller. the front of the block and the timing cover are not the same on these engines. There's places where there could be interference with a double roller. Besides the usual spot above the main oil galley.

Reactions: Jake Wade
1 - 7 of 7 Posts