Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a '73 SS 454 and am looking for the original 14'x7' rally wheels. Does anyone know if the rallys used on the Camaro from '74 to '81 are the same? I seem to remember them looking very similar but don't have any pictures of a Camaro to compare them to. The Chevelle wheels have 6 square holes around the outer diameter, trim rings and center caps that leave the lug nuts exposed. Someone mentioned that they thought the Camaro may have had chrome trim around the 6 square holes. The Chevelle does not.

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I looked in the wheel interchange book (Hollander) and it lists the 14"x"7 - 1970-81 Camaro, 73-74 Chevelle and 71-79 Nova as interchangeable. The colors may be different, some are painted body color while others are not.

The ID codes are; AV, UD, ZX. There are also 14X6 version of the same wheel used on the same cars.

Interesting note-I once owned a new 1973 Chevelle SS(purchased spring of 73) and the center cap on my car was not the one you describe (and I have seen in old photos) but a conical shape the completely covered the lug nuts. I does not show it in the interchange, I still have one of those. I also still have a photo of that car but the wheel view is upstructed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dont know about the earlier model wheels, but the later model wheels......77-79 or somewhere around those years, did have the chrome trim around the holes. I mostly see these wheels on these later Camaros, Novas, and square, boxy Malibus and Monte Carlos.

Maybe this will help.
Shannon

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the center caps got different paint detailing on the '78 & later Camaros & Novas. They began using a lot more black. I believe the chrome trim added to the slots came in the same year as they began to paint them in body colour - '78. I can recall in the mid-'70s a perfect '73 SS (454 with factory sunroof)running on Firestone Wide-Oval G70-14s & 14X7 rally wheels. Elcamino, I'm really curious about those center caps you mention. I wonder if it is possible that you have a center cap from a Turbine 1 wheel?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Here's something else - some of the early caps are die cast metal, while later ones are plastic. I don't know when the change was made. I also remember my sister's 78 Camaro that had those rally's, and the lug nuts had these trim caps that slide over them.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you sure you didn't have the turbine wheels?
The Camaro wheels are the same,and the trim for the holes in the wheels is removable.
The Chevelle wheel had 2 different types of centers, one looked similar to the derby caps on vette ralleys and covered the lugs, the other was identical to the Camaro center cap.

------------------
Sean
Heavy '73

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.