Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm now restoring the steering box and steering shaft on my '70 SS and was told today to be sure and not neglect replacing the rag joint on the shaft. Assuming it may be somewhat difficult to find the replacement part, do you guys think this is necessary as a saftey precaution? Thanks.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Affirmative on the notion that replacement rag joints may be hard to find. I currently am in the process of replacing my wore out steering gear box and since I am this far into it I am wanting to go ahead and do the joint. I keep getting told that it will be a "Dealer part only". Of course thats what I was told by several other parts stores about the gear box and then I finally found them at the chains like Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. However the rag joints are a different situation....and of course I get the basic "uh sorry....thats been discontinued by GM" (read as "I could probably make a few phone calls and find one for you but that would require too much effort" excuse from the local dealerships.
I have not yet dug thru all the Year One, etc. catalogues.....thats the next step.
SO.....if anyone has any tips or suggestions on finding steering shaft joints......PLEASE help.

Shannon

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 84 Dodge truck uses the same rag joint as my 66 chevelle. This could have been a standard item for others too. Shop around.........Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys
Call Lee Manufacturing out in Ca. somewhere check the archives for steering box replacing. The unit they sell is 100x better than GM and looks identical. I think it's about $55 bucks
Junior

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Guys, our sponsor Ground Up has it.
ATE-8869 1964+ all w/out ps....49.95
ATE-8871 1964+ all w/ps........45.95
(limited supply)
Luis!!70SS

·
Registered
92 Posts
One final option is a solid joint from Flaming River. This will be a little firm on the street but I use 2 of them on my bracket car and they are very impressive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought mine from Ground Up. It is a good fit, but I had to drill out this goofey plate in the middle so the steering column would fit through. Year One has some too.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys,
I know this may sound crazy, but I was in my local car wash this past weekend and they have a parts shop in there also. I was just glancing through all the "HELP" line products on the racks while waiting for my car to be washed and came across rag joints. I couldn't believe it because I had a hard time finding one for my 66 Impala SS. Check them out they looked great.

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Paul, you're not crazy. I've always seen them in the HELP! line at parts stores, both home in Missouri and out here in Maryland. I always assumed that they were a pretty minor piece and always cost the $5 that they were priced at.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I got mine off the shelf at Big A. Not sure if it was a HELP! piece or not, but it was under $10, and came with a new ground wire. I thought maybe I was missing something here with it being both expensive and hard-to-find as mine was neither.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.