Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my 67 is going back together and i figure i should put the radio and front speaker in before the dash goes in, so i'm wondering what is available that sounds good? I will be going with a tuner, front split speaker, 2 rear 6x9's, with an amp, and will probably add a cd changer and sub in the trunk later on.I won't cut the dash but i do want a quality system. I really don't want one in the glove box either. All help and ideas are greatly appreciated! Ralph.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went to a swap meet and met a guy that takes the original AM pushbutton radio and converts them to a high tech AM-FM with RCA inputs for whatever you would like. The radio retains the stock appearance. Contact me if interested of forum. The conversion in $380 and he is out of Michigan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ralph I bought a nice Kenwood system from NPD, I also bought the 2 speakers in one for the front - it's ok - but not good enough alone. I added some $120 6X9's from Best Buy - I do need a small amp I think - but overall the sound is decent with the rear speakers installed.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Ralph,
Be advised that the Autosound '2-in-1' front speakers which are sold for '67 Chevelles DO NOT FIT a car with A/C!!! Not even the ones they advertise as fitting an A/C car. They hit the center vent. I had an awful time, tried both speakers for a '67 with no luck. I have the AM/FM/Cassette unit they sell (USA-1 ?) and it does fit the dash. Sound is 'OK'. I used the Autosound Kickpanels with the upgraded speakers and they are decent. Clearnce of the E-brake pedal is an issue. My system is OK for cruising, and I plan to add a couple of speakers at some point - it will not rattle windows, which is OK by me. I would consider putting a stock radio in the dash for appearance, and relocating the unit of your choice to a remote location ( a remote contol unit wherever you like.) It is easier in a Chevelle than an Elky since you have more room. Good luck!
John

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys i am thinking a usa 6 head unit,twins for the dash, 6x9 for shelf with an amp and cd changer in the trunk. Is it true you have to use their cd changer when using a usa radio? No air i should be good there. do they make a kenwood unit for 67 has anyone used the Ken harrison unit npd sells? Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone seen the new Kenwoods available on ebay for chevelle's? It shows a model # krc-1007, anyone have experiances with these they will need an amp but what else can you tell me? Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any more help guys, or are we all in the dark and at the mercy of tuner guys on this. Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Ralph,

The Kenwood 1007 has 4 speaker outputs and RCA outputs so you can either go with an amp or run without one. It is an okay lower model radio. Gives you the basics at a decent cost. I would not use it if you wanted to build a hugh dollar stereo system though.

As another idea.... My company is releasing a radio at the end of the month based on a PIONEER unit that will have a remote mount faceplate that can be mounted under the dash or over the stock radio location without cutting the dash. The main unit will contain an MP3/WMA compatible single CD player and the radio is also a CDC/ Sat Radio controller. All This and a wireless remote too. The radio will be around $300.00 when released.

If anyone is interested in more info, Email me at [email protected]

www.geocities.com/joesclassiccarradio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts