Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and don't want to mess up the car. I want to install a good stereo into my 72 Chevelle and was wondering if it lowers the value of the otherwise original car by doing that, and is there any radio that will fit in without cutting the dash? My option was to mount in the speakers, build a little kit that sits on the tranny hump,powers off of the lighter, and run the speaker leads to it; kind of a portable stereo. Thanks -

·
Registered
61 Posts
Custom Autosound makes stereo systems that fit early chevelles and are sold through most Chevelle catalogs. If you decide to change yours make sure you keep the original to sell with the car when you sell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anne,

Year One Inc. in Atlanta has stereos in their Chevelle catalog that are designed specifically to fit in the dash of your 72 without cutting or modifying anything.

Year One is one of the best muscle car parts suppliers in the country. Give them a call and they will mail you a free catalog or help you select a radio for your car.

Year One Inc.
4559 Granite Drive
Tucker, Georgia
770-493-6568

And yes, keep the original radio with the car.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to bag on anybody, but my dad got a stereo made to fit the opening in his 56 Buick, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. I believe his unit came from Custom Autosound. I've been in car stereo and car alarm sales and installation for about 6 years and have seen many options other than this. One example is a fully remote controlled 50+1 trunk mounted cd player from Pioneer that responds to voice commands through an itsy bitsy microphone. Now this probably isn't what you had in mind, but my point is that you are not limited to your dash. Like my 72, the kid that had her before me hacked her up for a big stereo and equalizer. This destroyed the value of the dash. Now if you look inside, you see a row of 2" guages in a plexiglass panel filling the hole.

If you want to stay as near to original as would be reasonable in this instance- install good 3 1/2 inch speakers in the factory dash holes, 5 1/4, 6 1/2, or 6x9s under the rear deck where they can't be seen, but can be heard, and install a name brand 35x4 watt stereo (cd or cass, your choice) in a hang box above the inside rear view mirror. You can get a hang box (truckers box) from your local best buy car stereo install bay. Use this and run your wires inside flex loom or hide them in the A pillar. It may seem like alot, but figure at least $150 plus shipping for that custom unit that is nothing more than a universal 11x2 or 7x4 watt stereo with cassette at most(good luck getting auto reverse) and adjustable knob barrels-think kraco... For that kind of money you could go get a REAL stereo and an install kit. Good replacement speakers would be essential either way you go. Keep in mind how much road noise an original Chevelle has to offer.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
Later-
Rob
1BADS72

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can always get a remote cd player,it'll 10 in your trunk or under a seat. the brand names make a FM modulator that plugs in the antena of your stock radio. The changer has outputs for an amplifier too. Set up is easy and now prices are down around $300. Those custom ones built inside the stock radios cost over $1000. save your money get the cd and quality speakers.
just my $.02

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thought I'd pass it along-
I asked about the radio over the holiday and found out it was actually $189 plus shipping.
Oh-the fm modulated units are real nice if you have a high end system from the factory or similar, otherwise, it is literally just another radio station.

Rob
1BADS72

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just ordered one of the aftermarket one made by Jenson. Haven't received it yet, but can E-Mail and let you know what I think. Like you, mine is a 1970 El Camino and I would like to keep it as close as possible. Came with a AM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a JVC shaft type stereo in my 71 chevelle. It is an am/fm/cassete, rated at about 15/20 watts per channel (2 front / 2 back) and pretty much fit right in the factory opening. I used 2 4X6 pioneer speakers in the dash and 2 6X9 Kenwoods in the rear. I had to make some brackets to fit the speakers in the dash, but the whole install took and afternoon or less. I have used 2 of these radios and found them to give me good service. I think the last time I saw one at Circuit City it wast about $99. My brother has one of the custom auto sound units in his 64 elcamino, and it looks good and sounds great, but I think he was into the $300 range. Why spend more money if you don't go faster? Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just ordered a adjustable shaft radio for our chevelle so i wouldnt have to cut the dash,i ordered it thru aol's marketnet.its a jvc ksrx177 and is rated at 88 watts with preamp plugs.92.00 $

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.