Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last nite my radio quit working in my 69 SS396. Its a factory AM/FM, and whats weird is i can faintly HEAR the radio working, but the noise sounds like its coming from the radio itself, NOT the speaker up on the dash. The speaker has been buzzing for some time, like the paper cone was cracked... could the speaker have blown out completely? I would think it would just buzz forever... Do you think the wire came off the backside of the speaker? How is it possible to hear noise coming from the radio itself rather than from the speaker? Its an Air Conditioned car, so i'm wondering how big of a pain it is to get to the speaker up in the center of the dash to check it out... any suggestions or help would be greatly appriciated...gotta get the radio working again!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
No, not possible for the radio to put out the noise/music. What you are probably hearing is the speaker coil. It sounds like the cone has separated on the bottom. The speaker coil/magnet are above the radio so you are probably hearing it better when you listen near the radio. Original speakers can be repaired.
Pulled one out of 69 Impala years ago but not out of a Chevelle. Guessing you need to pull the radio to get at it. Maybe someone else can add something.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Actually,

It is possible to hear music/talk out of the radio itself. It can be considered "transformer talk" for a lack of better words. These radios used output transformers to match the load impedence to the internal circuitry. IF for some reason you "lost" your speaker (whether you have an open voice coil=bad speaker, wire became disconnected, or internal problem) and the volume is high enough you will hear this phenomenon.

The bad news; if indeed you had the radio "blaring" with no speaker load, chances are you've already damage the obsolete (expensive) germanium audio output transistor. Hopefully you didn't run it in this condition too long, you may just luck out. BUT, pull the fuse to the radio as a safeguard until the problem is SOLVED. You don't have to pull the radio to test the speaker, simply unplug the harness connector at the rear and get some scrap wires. Take a "C" battery and use the scrap wires to connect to the + and - of the battery and rapidly touch the green wire and the black (or black with white tracer) to your makeshift power supply and you should "pop, crackle, pop" out the speaker. Nothing = bad speaker. Voice coil probably went open or grounded out.

Didn't mean to intrude on your reply John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.