Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1970 El Camino's original AM/FM radio works fine, except that the pushbuttons don't work. They pull out and go in like they should to set stations, but they have no memory of the settings. All five buttons don't work.
I took the top and bottom covers off the case and tried to figure it out but got nowhere.
Any ideas what might be the problem and the fix? Or does anyone know any on-line articles about this?
Thanks for your help.
David

·
Registered
211 Posts
My 68 AM radio did the same thing. IF I remember correctly, with it facing you and the top panel off, look at the right side middle of the radio. There is a pivot point for those push buttons that gets stuck. Clean that up and regrease it and all should be good. I THINK I used wd40 to clean (on q-tips) then lithium to regrease. Good luck..........ps it looks like a metal pin going into a hole on a roundish dial/wheel if I recall.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case someone else runs into a similar problem with their radio pushbuttons I will post a followup on this topic.

The pushbuttons and manual dial knob finally work perfectly!! After two sessions of trying to fix this -- a total of about 8 hours involving unnecessarily disassembling much of the radio and much head scratching
-- it gradually became apparent how the mechanism works. Finally I noticed that a pivot pin holding left side (drivers side) of the pushbutton mechanism had popped out of its pivot spot. Ten seconds later, it worked perfectly.

In the meantime, I cleaned and lubricated numerous moving parts. I hope that won't do more harm than good by attracting dust, etc. Anyway, it looks like a victory.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts