Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv got spark noise in my radio
It seems to have gotten worse.I just had my hood off to repaint the hinges and when I did I ground off the paint between the hinges and hood and fender as to get a good ground.Then I added a ground strap from the frame to engine block( has one from blk to fire wall)also redid the one from the radio to dash frame.Im useing Taylor spiro-pro wires w/pertronix dist.parts.This is a after market radio(cheap.)Also have the condenser on the coil....
Could it be the radio?I haven't messed with the wires(year old)or cap or rotor.It also has some slight alt.whine at low volume..
It's so bad that it's not even fun to listn to the radio now

Im about to pull my hair out...

Please help...

Is Coppertop out there????
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are your ignition wires stainless by any chance?
They will cause radio noise.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 Montecarlo

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know..I'll have to read the Summit ad for them again..I really don't think so tho.

Help
rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
No man, thats not noise, thats the music nowdays:

ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT
ANT ANT ANT ANT ANT BODDA BOOOM!

(Repeat first chorus forever.)
Nothing wrong with your radio!

Seriously, you can get plug wires to reduce the noise from the ignigion.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My friend had this problem in his car. the sound coming out of his speakers sounded like a loud whistling that got loud when the engine rpm went up. He found out that on one wire the insulation got burnt off and was allowing the spark to arc. Also you can try putting a insulated covering over your speaker wires. kind of like what is on spark plugs. I have used small round pieces of foam and slipped it over the wires and it worked.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just installed two new 4x6 front speakers and the noise seems to have gotten worse alltho I tried to improve the grounds.Last nite I pulled off the cowl piece covering the winshield antenna connection and checked it.It seemed ok. I'll try covering the new front wires.I used 18ga wire for them.
I'll reattach the ground wire from the radio and see if it helps..Also disconnect the antenna and see if it changes the noise.Thanks for the help

Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS,what side of the coil does the condenser go on?
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do you get the noise when the car is stopped?

I recall from years ago, an old mechanic telling me that a bad wheel bearing will sometimes show up as a radio buzz (spark noise). The noise will speed up/slow down with car speed but won't be there when car's not moving.

Can't vouch for this myself - could be he was pulling my leg. Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

------------------
66 Beaumont

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bet you have a grounding problem. also it might be the alt. you need a condenser there too, and one at the coil, and the blower motor for the good old heater.

one more thing if you have the polarity of the speaker wire's backwards or one side right and one side wrong you can get this noise too.

but then again it could be a muffler Bering.....

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
66,yes,I get the noise when sitting still.ilb8..I'll check the rear speakers,Iv had them out numerous times,maybe they got switched??thanks for the help..
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well,I checked the rear speeakers,OK.
Redid the ground off the radio, no luck.
Cleaned up the grounds on the voltage reg.,no luck

Checked my dist. cap,looked OK.(year old)
Resistor plugs,wires,I give UP

Anybody have any ideas??
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Rick

If you DO NOT have noise with the engine off, the cause is in the ignition system.
You need to get noise suppression plug wires first. These are the biggest cause of engine noise ( RF ). All though your cap is less than a year old, it does not mean is is any good. Electrical noise is caused by high voltage or high current passing through an unshielded wire. Plug wires, bad cap, bad rotor, non suppression spark plugs, etc.
Also, on the other side of things, you could go to a shielded speaker wire and power cable to the radio. Ground the shield for each cable near the radio. Leave as little wire exposed as you can near the radio and speakers. You can get twisted pair shielded wire at Radio Shack. This should be a last resort. So don't do it first. Get your ignition cleaned up as much as you can first.

Also, Coppertop gave you a link to some good stuff. Look near the end for the info on noise suppression.

[This message has been edited by 69454Malibu (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Registered
249 Posts
I too suffer from radio buzz relating to rpm's. Where would one attach a condenser to the alternator? I have one on my coil and also have a suppresor plug between the coil wire and the distributor cap, but really no change.

------------------
Joe G.
ChicagoChevelle68
Any car past 1972 is just simply transportation, really!

http://pages.about.com/chicagochevelle68/Welcome.html
[email protected]
ICQ# 64752614

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
69454,I switched the cap and rotor tonite and presto
I think about 98% of the noise is gone...I also adjusted the antenna,but the radio still doesn't bring in stations well.But it's a cheap one.
I checked out Coppertop's section and thought I'd tried everything short of replacing things piece by piece.I may still look at getting another radio

Thanks all for the help...
Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
72 Elcam 402SS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.