Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new USA-l AM/FM radio in my 67. There is a loud whining noise when the engine is running. The radio that was in it before did not have this noise. I remember years ago noises like this went away when you put in resistor spark plugs. Could this be the problem?

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
The whine varies with rpm? What type of ignition? Stock points or HEI, sounds like stock. Ground straps from engine to firewall installed? Condenser been replaced?

Where's Herb when you need him?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm sure Herb is around. Talk to your local radio shop. Pick up a filter for the DC input to the radio. They run under $7.00.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
I'm sure Herb is around. Talk to your local radio shop. Pick up a filter for the DC input to the radio. They run under $7.00.
Thanks John, guess we didn't need him. Just figured this was right up is alley.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Instigator.

But John's idea is a good start. Then there's all the other filters he needs to install. Maybe he needs those little braided straps all over the place.
:rolleyes:

Bottom line is that he may never be able to get rid of all the noise on AM if everything isn't stock. We're now living is a world of 50KV coils, not 20KV, and 100 amp alternators with ringy diodes and transitors. Everybody punches up the ignition system to get a good hot spark and generates so much sporatic E that without shielding the plug wires, coil and distributor, noise is a bear to suppress. I've have it on AM in my 97 EFI truck since I drove it off the show room floor.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Yes, John's idea is a good start and maybe end, especially if it only costs $7. I guess I just wasn't thinking noise on the power feed. I was thinking RFI.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked to see what my old radio had that my new one didn't. It had a filter on the 1Amp line in. I took it off the old and put it on my new one. WORKED! No more noise! Thanks Guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts