Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the factory am/fm radio in my 65 chevelle after it's restoration. I am getting a high pitched noise through the speaker (alternator? Ignition?) when the engine is running. I have installed a power line filter and an antenna filter to no avail. In the factory assembly manual, they show a capacitor going from a terminal on the voltage regulator to ground. It is missing on my car. Could that be the culprit? Where can I find one if it is????

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Yeah, I'd say you better install the voltage regulator capacitor in the factory manner. Then you can rule out that as a culprit. If it still does it, unplug your antenna plug from the rear of the radio. If the noise stops, you've got a bad antenna ground connection. E-mail me if you need more help.

Joe

·
Registered
738 Posts
Jim, I went through the same problem about 1 year ago with an aftermarket stereo for my 70' and I returned the MSD noise filter because it didn't work after I installed it...the culprit was a bad ground for the stereo - I found it and it was an easy fix!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
RADIO MAN HERE,---- just ground the radio to a solid ground away from other accesories that should do the trick. jk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've had the same problem for over 2 years. I
now live with it.
-tried GM wires
-have AC plugs
-tried with points/condensor
-I reinstalled the pertronix
-I have a capacitor on the coil
-have the capacitors on the voltage regulator
-tried to gnd the speakers
-have made a noise sniffer and used it as a wond to see if the noise got louder as I got close to the alternator and dist. No luck.
-tried a different location ground.
-the radio has a steel strap on the rear so I can keep it level and it's screwed under the dash against steel. Should I use platic tie raps here instead so it's not my main GND?
I also have a wire and a connection labelled GND on the rear of the radio and it is grounded to steel.
I just give up! And yes I tried another new radio. No change.

How far away should I try this GND wire away from the radio?
Thx in advance.

Mark

[This message has been edited by COPO (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Mark, the ground I use is my temperature sending units' solid 'sending wire' which is wrapped with the outer coil. You have to make contact with the solid wire inside the coil for it to be a good ground. Good Luck!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.