Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new radio in my Chevelle that has a auxiliary port to play music from your phone or mp3 player. The radio plays fine both when the car is running or off but when trying to play music from my phone or mp3 player it will play fine as long as the car isn't running but will be nothing but static if the car is running. Is there something I can try to eliminate the static.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get a ferrite core choke and put it on the aux wire, sounds like the interference is coming from your ignition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ferrite chokes that are spoken about I see they sell them in packages of ten how many do you need to put on the cable or is one sufficient.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The ferrite chokes that are spoken about I see they sell them in packages of ten how many do you need to put on the cable or is one sufficient.

One should be sufficient.

Today 50% of all marriages end in divorce, but 100% of car part deliveries end in happiness.

72 Chevelle Malibu 327/350 Restomod
57 Chevy Bel Air 283/Powerglide
96 Ford Ranger (aka Truck Norris)

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
If nothing else works, yuou may try forming a MuMetal barrier around the radio itself.
MuMetal is a shielding agent we used extensively in our control system electronics to properly shield them from EMF.

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
One should be sufficient.
One more question on the Choke. When you install it on the cable how close to the end should you put it and does it matter on what end you put it on. The end going into the radio or the end plugging into the MP3 player.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think I found the problem. After playing around under the dash putting a choke on the old cable and then replacing the 3.5mm cable with a shielded one I was still having the problem. I noticed something that was happening when switching the key from ACC. to run but still not starting the motor. When switching the key I could hear the radio dial moving when the power was removed from the radio. Sure enough after retuning the dial pointer the MP3 player works fine both with the engine not running and running. I left the shielded cable on with no choke and it all seems to be good now. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts