Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to fit a single play cd disc and fm radio in my 71 Chevelle dash. Anyone know of a unit that will fit and cause the least cutting and modification of the original dash?
Thanks for all the help with the Headliner guys it went in fine.
Phil

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
DON'T HACK YOUR DASH!!!

Sorry, being a original radio enthusiast and a stock car enthusiast I'm kinda biased

I doubt you will find a CD unit that will fit with little modification, you see the most a vintage dash will fit is a tape unit, the cd's are too long width wise and will require a lot of modification.

After all how many radio/cd players have shaft controls???

Joe

-auto radio repair tech
-building team Chevelle's radio info web pages

·
Registered
29 Posts
if this car is a driver and not an original numbers matching car, i say do what you want to the car.

i installed a blaupunkt cd player in my 70 chevelle, had to cut a little bit of the dash because it obviously doesn't have the shaft controls but it looks great. fits perfectly where the old radio went. just make sure to make good measurements and take your time when cutting the dash.

------------------
Rich
70 Chevelle
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~rguerra

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
If you want the least amount of damage to your dash, and you want CD capability, I'd go with a remote CD changer in the trunk. You can stack 6-8 CDs in it and play it through your existing FM radio. This gives you more options for selecting a radio. There is a decent selection of no-shaft-cut replacements, and get a tape player to boot. $.02 TK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't cut the dash! Some parts are easily replaced, some are not. Some modern parts in the car look good, like a nice tach or other guages, but that knobless Sony CD player that fills the hole in my cut dash looks out of place! I hate it. Of course, with my engine/exhaust setup I can't hear the thing anyway! I wish my dash wasn't cut.

Pat
70 SS396

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do decide to cut your dash, and go with the single play cd, i'd head down to the store and pick up a player called the El Kameleon, by JVC. Its a good player, and when turned off it completely recesses and turns black so that it will blend in to the dash better. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a stock stereo am fm radio that just does not cut it in my 66 SS. Is'nt there an alternative solution that works ?. I love my car but whats wrong with good quality sound. I have heard about under dash installations, glove box, whats everyone else doing ?. No I don't and won't cut the dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.