Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help identifying whether I have a radio that was available for the 70 model year. It is a push button with 5 black horizontal buttons, black faced chrome knobs, left knob has a balance lever for right and left speakers, face has the radio frequency numbers 5-7-9-11-14-16 which are segmented with vertical white lines between the numbers and a small Delco in script writing in the lower right hand corner.

On the right knob plastic housing (which is hidden behind the dash when installed) are the numbers, 7307757 with an 8 below them. On the back where the wiring harness plugs in from left to right it reads in vertical letters, snd, spk, lmp, 12V, and gnd. There is a round electronic part that reads through the back that has the word Delco, GM, DS-503, 6934.

I have not tried to see if it fits my car yet, but was wondering if there is a source for visually identifying (ie: a book) GM radios of the period. My dash pad came with two speaker openings, left and right, and I am wondering, did AM radios come with two speakers or center speaker only? The original speakers with the car had fallen apart so they are not in the car after the complete restoration. I have to find speakers the right size and ohm configuration. There is a AM radio (non push button) sitting in the dash not hooked up that the previous owner bought at a swap meet and put in for looks. I do not know if it works.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Chuck-

I'm building Chevelle.Com's radio information site as we speak. It will help people in your position trying to visually i.d. as well as go off of given numbers to a particular model year radio.

Sounds like to me you have yourself a 1970 AM radio correct for Chevelle/EL Camino/Monte Carlo. It should have a green band painted at the top of the plastic dial lens.

As far as speakers went...It is not uncommon to have a "stereo" (2 speaker) dash pad with an AM only radio. If you wanted ordered an AM or mono Am/Fm and also ordered A/C, you got two speakers because the center A/C duct took away the available room for the center single speaker.

Email me if you want me to send a picture to you of the correct radio for your application.
Joe

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I have sent radiojoe a separate message by email. He has cleared up the two speaker question because my car does have A/C. The radio does have the green paint at the top of the plastic.
Sounds like I am authentic and ready to install.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Chuck-
You may not have realized this, but I'll throw it in Coppertop(your first response) is Radiojoe I'm glad he was able to help ya out, that's what this site is all about!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.