Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem solved...why does it always come back to being my problem.

Radio install is ok. But its time to pix the charging system. It seems I am getting 17.9 volts out of my alternator to the battery...not good.

What is involved in upgrading to a one wire internal reg. alternator, and what output should I go for?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Almost nothing is needed to upgrade to a one-wire. All it takes is the existing large red wire off the back of the alternator. Depending how big you go, you may consider making that lead larger. Do a search. There has been comments good and bad about certain ones.
How big is that radio? You may want to just put in a larger internal regulated alternator. Believe they are cheaper and more available if you need to replace it. Also the idiot light circuit won't work with the one-wire. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I with John. Use a standard GM alternator, CS from a late 80's truck I believe. Look at the tech reference article here. That way, the idiot light still works and parts are available at most part stores.

Peter

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just a WAG here, but wouldn't a van have the highest output OEM alternator? It seems like it would have the most lighting and electrical accessories.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 1-9-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

1 - 4 of 4 Posts