Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a second aftermarket CD Player in 71 Chevelle. Best Buy Guys said to run one line to the battery and another to an ignition line. Would there be a problem if I ran them to the fuse box instead. I would put a fuse somewhere in the line. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
I typically don't place a lot of value on what the Best Buy guys say. Now having said that I can think of 2 possible reasons to run straight to the battery. One is current draw, is this just a changer or radio/amp/changer? If it's a high power amp then direct to battery may be warranted. If it's only a changer then current draw should be small. Two is noise, although electrically the same a direct line to the battery could provide a cleaner power source. Any modern audio equip should have enough filtering in it that this shouldn't be an issue. I would run to the fuse box, if current isn't an issue and see what you get. You can always change it later if you want.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally - Unit is just CD player w/ AM/FM radio. Do they make small connectors that attach to the battery post? THANKS VERY MUCH!!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Yes several suppliers have both top and side mount adaptors that range from mild to extravagant depending on your application.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by Skier_Bob:
Finally - Unit is just CD player w/ AM/FM radio. Do they make small connectors that attach to the battery post? THANKS VERY MUCH!!
Don't know, probably somebody does, or you could tie in at the junction block on the rad support. If it's not a high output amp go to the fuse block. It probably only draws a few amps, should be in the specs.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
When the guy said battery, he meant a constant 12 volts. This is for memory fucntions such as your clock and radio pre-sets. The fused box connection is your regular radio fused connection for power in run or acc positions...The fuse box is a switched connection

1 - 9 of 9 Posts