Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was going to toss my Original Radiator but thanks to the advice of many I did not. Now it looks like I may need it, so my question is this.Where can I trust to have it properly repaired.I live in Los Angeles and the Radiator shops local are all pretty much gone out of business or do not have a good reputation.Ideas....anybody....

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Look in the phone book then go drive and take a Look !!! The Nastiest, Dirtiest shop with the Old guy who is filty head to toe is Your Guy !!!! Experience is where its at !!!!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Check with Don at Alumitech. Yes, he does aluminum radiators for chevelles - but if I'm not mistaken he also knows someone that does it and/or sometimes has original radiators restored himself. Either way, he's a great help and will tell you like it is.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look in the phone book then go drive and take a Look !!! The Nastiest, Dirtiest shop with the Old guy who is filty head to toe is Your Guy !!!! Experience is where its at !!!!
That's Funny, but that's what I did.All the places I have used in the past....are all gone.The ones that are left really can't be bothered.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check with Don at Alumitech. Yes, he does aluminum radiators for chevelles - but if I'm not mistaken he also knows someone that does it and/or sometimes has original radiators restored himself. Either way, he's a great help and will tell you like it is.
The link from the Alumitech web site is a place in Michigan. Thanks for the info,but I think that's a little far to ship.I'll keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Is US Radiator in Cal.? I had them make a custom radiator,from my drawings,to dulplicate a Harrison. It turned out perfect. I'm sure that they could restore your Harrison for you. It's just a thought, give them a call...Bob

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is US Radiator in Cal.? I had them make a custom radiator,from my drawings,to dulplicate a Harrison. It turned out perfect. I'm sure that they could restore your Harrison for you. It's just a thought, give them a call...Bob
Thanks for the info,I may have found a place local to me. At $4.00 + a gallon I want to keep it local.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
A while back I was going to toss my Original Radiator but thanks to the advice of many I did not. Now it looks like I may need it, so my question is this.Where can I trust to have it properly repaired.I live in Los Angeles and the Radiator shops local are all pretty much gone out of business or do not have a good reputation.Ideas....anybody....
for those interested in having there Harrison Radiator restored .

Traditional radiator shops are rapidly becoming a thing of the past , Classic Radiator Restorations is capable of radiator and heater core restoration that will produce an end product suitable for classic vehicle restoration.
http://www.classicradrestore.com/
Specializing in copper and brass radiator and heater core restoration for most vintage vehicles and equipment.

For old world craftmanship ...Give Bob a call 810-227-4380

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Another option:To save on shipping costs, just send them the tanks. The tanks can very easily be removed by heating the solder joint with a propane flame, like the one used for soldering pipes. Then just send the tanks, if there's no shops in you area. You will still have return shipping, but it would only cost a few bucks to get the rad tanks to the shop.

I always remove the tanks, so I can knock out any dents in the tanks, then I have it recored locally. Then I do any additional plastic work, and repaint.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
for those interested in having there Harrison Radiator restored .

Traditional radiator shops are rapidly becoming a thing of the past , Classic Radiator Restorations is capable of radiator and heater core restoration that will produce an end product suitable for classic vehicle restoration.
http://www.classicradrestore.com/
Specializing in copper and brass radiator and heater core restoration for most vintage vehicles and equipment.

For old world craftmanship ...Give Bob a call 810-227-4380
he is abit back logged .. so if you have time to wait then your in luck .. each rad gets a full week of attention .. when it comes back to you , you would think Harrison just built it .

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he is abit back logged .. so if you have time to wait then your in luck .. each rad gets a full week of attention .. when it comes back to you , you would think Harrison just built it .
Thank You for the info. I'm not in a hurry,I have had this car for 42 years, but its not worthy of a 100 pt radiator. The one that's currently in the car is an aftermarket about 15 yrs old and probably not worth additional effort. If the local shop can repair my original I will be happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts