Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a 67’ El Camino soon, and the first thing I need to do is purchase and install a better radiator. I’m in Phoenix AZ, so I need something that can handle the heat. I was told that Ron Davis radiators are very good, but I wanted to get a second opinion. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with a Rob Davis radiator, or does anyone have other recommendations? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a Cold Case radiator. It is their LS swap radiator purchased from Jegs and it is Jegs pn 359-GMA546AK. It keeps my 70 El Camino with an LS engine nicely cool and uses a pair of electric fans with a good shroud. I'm very happy and this is my first summer with it . . . no complaints. If it does well with me here in summertime Louisiana, it'll be fabulous anywhere else.

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Ron Davis radiator in my 69 Camaro. It’s really a work of art. Perfect welds all around, perfect polish job and it keeps cool even with the a/c on in 100*+ heat here in So Cal. I’m considering one for my 67 Chevelle SS, but am hesitant because they are WAY expensive. Here’s a shot of the one in the Camaro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
810 Posts
I’ve had very good luck with a Dewitt’s in my 70. All stock setup, including the “short” shroud. Runs 160-180.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’ve had very good luck with a Dewitt’s in my 70. All stock setup, including the “short” shroud. Runs 160-180.

I’ve been looking at Dewitt’s Chevelle radiator/fan combo in black for my 67. I think that would look sharp in there and it’s a bit less expensive than the Ron Davis. We have another choice here in SoCal (Azusa) called Rick’s Radiators. His are all USA made and all can be configured with electric fans and fitted shrouds. I just bought one for my 57 Chevy and with the fan/shroud it was under $600. I haven’t run the car yet, so don’t know how it performs, but it’s a quality looking piece. Not sure if they’re available online though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Alumitech & 7-blade Fan

Have 2 Alumitech BBC rads, both the 1" & 1 1/2"

Factory GM Hi-Perf Harrison appearance, mega-cooling

Seven-blade NASCAR fan. Very powerful fan, yet quiet.
(made by Flex-a-lite)

Fantastic combo,
minus the "blingy"look & adding
un-needed electric components. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I bought an original style 4 row from Ausleys. fit and cools great. Almost too good. Car never gets above 180, mostly 160 operating temp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Ron Davis radiator in my 69 Camaro. It’s really a work of art. Perfect welds all around, perfect polish job and it keeps cool even with the a/c on in 100*+ heat here in So Cal. I’m considering one for my 67 Chevelle SS, but am hesitant because they are WAY expensive. Here’s a shot of the one in the Camaro.

I am likely going to go with the Rob Davis. Did you install yourself? If so, how easy was it and did everything fit alright?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am likely going to go with the Rob Davis. Did you install yourself? If so, how easy was it and did everything fit alright?

It was easy to install, but it was done as part of the overall build of the car so fenders were off. The fit was excellent. Invest in a good quality electrical control package. I put one together, but I think RDR sells their own now. It is likely a quality product. Also consider upgrading your electrical grounding on the car. These fans pull a lot of amperage and require good grounding (as well as a high output alternator).

·
Vendor
242 Posts
Ron Davis makes a very nice radiator. They used epoxy for many years but I heard they are now fully braised. Also, their standard unit is dual 1" core which is a very nice core but not the biggest. You should confirm both. Nice part is that they are right in your back yard in case you have a problem. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts