Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radiator fix it guy says I have corrison caused by electricity to radiator I have Earth to engine and trans X/member Battery to chassis an d engine What could cause this any ideas?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
maybe the reverse? Electricity caused by corrosion?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is electrolysis caused by dissimilar metals between the cooling system parts and the engine/chassis. The coolant acts like an electrolyte.

-Flush the cooling system thoroughly and add the proper mix of coolant and distilled water.
-Solder a small ground strap from one of the heater core pipes to the engine/chassis. Braided wire works nice for this if you can find it.
Also add one from the radiator shell to the engine/chassis. You can have your radiator guy solder it right to one of the metal tanks.
This is assuming your rad and heater core are brass. Aluminum requires care to prevent corrosion between the copper wire and aluminum parts.

I've also heard of sacrificial anodes that can be added to prevent electrolysis in cooling systems, but have never seen one.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Outboard motors have a sacrificial anode bolted to the lower unit. As far as I know it is just a piece of zinc which they use to galvanize steel roofing and automotive body metal. It`s just a little less reactive than magnesium and aluminum.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Outboard motors have a sacrificial anode bolted to the lower unit. As far as I know it is just a piece of zinc which they use to galvanize steel roofing and automotive body metal. It`s just a little less reactive than magnesium and aluminum.
Yep, that's the very same thing. I "think" the ones for a cooling system are contained in a tube that is installed in a heater hose. Not sure though.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Electrolosis from degrading antifreeze. I dont even use distilled water I go straight to the source and purchase the 50/50 pre-diluted antifreeze. You can also buy an additive for this from your local parts house.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I should of said everything is brand new Ls2 and 4l60e, rad ,engine, auto, hoses, rad is alloy engine was flushed new coolent etc only thing I think is need earth at front body to chassis have one at rear at regulater filter to chassis Any other ideas? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts