Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an overflow jug at the parts store, universal one I believe. About the same size as the winshield fluid holder. Where to put it, too little space. Any suggestions, tips, ideas. I am assuming that it has to be installed parrallel to the ground, not crooked. Thanks in advance...

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I have installed over flow bottles on a 70 and 71. I used bottles from Toyota pickups in a salvage yard (no clue what years). They were plastic bottles with small metal brackets on top held on by 2 bolts. I disgarded the brackets and used 1/4in long bolts to install them under the right fender up front by the battery. There is a nice empty space there that is just right and out of the way.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't be timid about modifying your mounting bracket. It seems like evertime I mount one of these I have to bend, shorten, lengthen or drill new holes in the bracket in order to get it mounted parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since my baby doesn't go out in the rain anymore, I am using the original washer resevoir from the windshield washer. It looks like it belongs, because it does. I just can't use the washer function (I never did).

------------------
1970 Chevelle 502-580HP
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Mercer, PA

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a universal overflow jug next to the windshield washer bottle mounted to the radiator support. It's a 1 1/2 quart model, about 3"X 6"X 6". Fits nicely and looks good.

------------------
Rick Clark
Hermiston,OR
#208 Gold

·
Registered
97 Posts
I added a universal tank to my 86' jeep cj7 several years ago. It sits a little crooked but functions fine. Remember, when you add an overflow to a system that did not originally have one, make sure you install the correct type radiator cap. There is a difference between the cap on systems with and without an overflow tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

[This message has been edited by 70Chevelle 350 (edited 11-07-99).]

·
Registered
97 Posts
The difference, if I am not mistaken, is that the one for the non overflow tank should only have 1 seal inside the cap. The one for the overlow setup will have 2 seals, a small and a large one. I'd have to go outside and check these but I am pretty sure this is how it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.