Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a small leak on the left side of my radiator. I am thinking about putting some JB Weld on it and was wondering if anyone has tried this. Also, I have another pin hole leak in the middle portion and was thinking about using Bar's Leak Additive. Any suggestions on this product. Dont really have the cash right now to get a new radiator. Thanks in advance!

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

[This message has been edited by 70Chevelle 350 (edited 10-14-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Man, been there done that, won't ever do it again. Temp fixes never hold, and that leak additive has always caused other problems for me.

Make a tour of the local rad shops asking about getting it repaired. I have scored completely recored rads that were never picked up by a customer, below cost cuz' the shop dosen't want to store 'em, or get into a timely repair on the one I had.

If ya have to I found some stuff called Magnum specifically formulated to plug rad leaks (putty for cracks). It is a 2 part epoxy type metal-like stuff. Just need to dain rad enuff so that it''s dry when you put it on.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Chev pick-up radiators fit chevells.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
738 Posts
DSmith, years ago while still in high school, my 76' Malibu Classic developed a small radiator leak from a thrown rock. It had cut a small hole in one of the tubes and because I had no funds to fix it properly, I JB Welded the hole closed. I owned that car for another 5 years and it never leaked again. If you have the money, get it fixed right like these guys are suggesting, but if you don't, in my experience - JB Weld worked just fine on my small leak. Just make sure that the radiator is empty and that all surfaces are clean and dry.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry Harley, but I dissagree on the truck to Chevelle theory. I have a sweet looking four core radiator I purchased at a swap meet from some dirtbag who assured me it will fit a Chevelle...the rad is two inches too tall..even the radiator shop I took it to was hip to that one. Take the dimensions off of the old rad with you before you buy something you can't use.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
Tom, Some of the truck radiators will fit. In around 76 they went to the taller core. The radiator in my 70 Malibu and my 74 GMC were the same.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.