Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to be a bit cooler here in Alabama and its time to check the antifreeze strenght in my 70 Chevelle. The coolant is nice and green, which leads to the question, How do you tell when you need to flush the radiator, and refill? Is it the color of the antifreeze, only? Thanks in advance.

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
You should replace anti-freeze every few years, the stuff loses it's rust and corrosion inhibitors and will start to eat away your radiator and other parts. I don't flush it completely, I drain the radiator, fill with water, run it then dump it and fill it up with antifreeze and water.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone out there know the radiator capacity? 350/350. Thanks...

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey 70,
Drain the coolant down until you can look in the top of the radiator tank with a flashlight. If you see little crystals growing around the top of the tubes, it's probably time for a cleaning. The best way to do that is to take it to a good radiator shop for a cleaning. I'm not sure how effective the off the shelf flush in a can is. By the way this is only a good guess method. The tubes could be full of junk and you won't know until they remove the tanks for a cleaning. Previous advice is good; most antifreezes have a finite life for their rust protection qualities.mgg

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
There are testers available that will tell you if the coolant is still doing its job but they are pretty expensive. Definitely not "do it yourselfer" type equipment. I would like to add that it is illegal in most states, as far as I know, to just dump the stuff out on the ground. Drain it into a container and take it to the recycling center.
The Prestone "super flush" used to be pretty good, but like all other chemicals it seems like the EPA has done it in lately.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Some time ago I read an article on restoring radiators. This car was OLd, and the radiator looked like it had been buried with Rip Van Winkle, anyhow the process was to use Drain "O" Yes toilet bowl cleaner. It's not as strong today as it was but what else. "Use with care"

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.