Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am currently in the process of converting to manual steering, I have been looking at alternative options. One of these options was a power rack & Pinion kit. I have seen the one from steeroids, but it will not be offered for a while.
I was wondering are there any other kits out there, or can I make one out of a pinto or mustang II unit? What would need to be modified?

Thanks,
TIm

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have also looked into steeroids. I emailed them early this year and they said the a-body model should be out by the end of the year. I have been keeping an eye on their web site, and it doesn't seem like they are any closer to having it ready than when I talked to them (still no "advanced info" available). I want a faster steering ratio and have been putting off getting a new box since I would really like a rack-n-pinion. If they don't put anything out soon, I will get an old camaro box and adapter.

As far as pinto's, they have them for nova, camaro, and tri-5, but they usually require a new front clip. I imagine that it would probably be really hard to adapt one to fit a chevelle and get the bump steer and the linkage right. If it were easy the steeroids unit or another would probably be out by now.

I would be interested to know if anybody has been able to get this to work, also.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have a buddy working on this for his 1st gen Camaro utilizing a late model Chevy RP and some custom machining of brackets. Should be cool. The kits were HUGE DOLLARS

G

·
I have one of those quick ratio steering boxes on my 67. I removed the power steering in favor of this. We are talking huge effort at low speeds to steer the thing. It's nice and quick but I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. Cost was around 300 quite a while back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.