Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work told me he read about a R&P conversion kit for 'A' bodied cars.
Anyone here this also?

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

'67 Elcamino

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I've talked to Steeroids a couple of times over the last year on their upcoming R&P kit for Chevelles (really all the A body cars). They are anticipating that this will be a bigger market than even their current Nova & Camaro kits...but there seem to be some technical difficulties in putting a suitable conversion kit together.

I hope they get it worked out.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I too have been looking for a rack & pinion setup. Other than steeroids, I have not been able to find anything for A body's. Though if someone does have the info on one that is available, I would be VERY interested in it. I have contacted steeroids via email, but did not recieve a response as to when they will have their kit completed.

Tim

·
Registered
659 Posts
I also wish steeroids would hurry up and finish their R&P.

I upgraded my suspension and brakes, but have been holding up redoing my steering so I could get one of their A-body R&P's

If they take much longer, I'm going to just go with a high effort / quick ratio box.

Maybe we need to organize a mass email campaign to get them to quit dragging their heals.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
166 Posts
What makes it better to me is that I do not have the room to run a power steering setup in my 65. Manual steering, and Rack and Pinion are my only alternatives.

Tim

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Thanks Cardiac, I just checked out their web site and I'm as excited as you guys about R & P on my '67 convt. Hope they get it going soon.

------------------
TC Gold 287
ACES 2716

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TronDD:
So what makes rack and pinion steering better? It seems a lot less complex then reciprocating ball but how often are you rebuilding steering components?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aside from the quick ratio steering, they claim to shave off about 25 pounds, plus move the remaining weight aft.

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

'67 Elcamino

·
Registered
659 Posts
The main advantage other than weight reduction is a better "feel".

R&P units have better on-center feedback than rec. ball boxes. This makes the steering resistance decrease when the wheel is centered, allowing you to sense when the car is going straight.

Also, if designed right, bump steer is reduced. This is the tendency of the suspension compressing to effect required steering input.

All these reduce the ammount of steering corrections required by the driver and allows you to concentrate on other things.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.