Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Race Mate alternator attached to a Stewart Water Pump on the Chevelle I just purchased. The new battery does not get charged properly. After 1 day of use the battery is dead. Is this Race Mate alternator designed for racing only? I like the idea of this alternator as it looks like part of the water pump and maintains a clean look in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't know much about that brand. Suspect you have to get the RPMs up above 2K to start the alternator. After that it should be putting out around 14.5 volts at idle if it's working. Should have a large output wire on it. Measure that wire to ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Not too many have heard of the racemate alternator. The website is racemate.com.
It looks like it was the regulator, a small part that gets bolted to the frame and connects to the racemate alternator. Racemate sent me a new regulator, but I have not tested it yet.
It's a great design as it cleans up the engine compartment and eliminates any belts.
I also think it is only 32 Amps, that also concerns me.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
32A isn't much different that what the old externally regulated alternators would do. There is probably enough power if you're not running anything extra that uses over a few amps. You may have some problems with the lights being dull at night though. If it's fixed for free I'd run it and see how it works.

Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll after trying out the replacement regulator, It does not really charge the battery sufficiently.
I dont have a radio or heat/ac. The only electric components are: Fuel pump, fan, lights.
But even a fully charged brand new battery (1000/980)gets very weak after a few hours.

I was thinking that If I keep the Racemate, perhaps I could add a 2nd battery.
Does anyone know the procedure to connect another battery? Does it just get connected to the other battery? Or is there a special connection procedure to follow?
THanks

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
if you want a cleaner look - why not get one of those bracket that bolts the alternator to the bottom near the oil pan?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts