Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original a/c compressor's seals took a dump after sitting unused for a few years and I'm looking for an alternative. Should I get another new/rebuilt standard R12 compressor (mines the long one) or is there an affordable new R134a compressor out there that bolts up and works as good as stock. By now I would think someone is producing something that uses the stock brackets and works comparably well. BTW, I was quoted about $340 for a rebuilt+charged change-out of my existing stock long compressor.

------------------
jack
Ft.Lauderdale, FL
gold #163

·
Registered
335 Posts
I replaced the comp on my Blazer last summer and it had a tag that said it was good for either refrig. Same with the dryer and O-rings that came with it. Might check at the parts store and see if the A6 is this way also. The R134 is about 20 percent less efficient than the old stuff so I'd suggest sticking with the older compressor. Those things are real hosses. tom

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Jack
Tom is right about keeping the A6. It puts out a lot more than the shorty. You can convert to 134 using the A6. But while the system is empty, I would go thru and replace all the "O-rings" with 134 compatible rings. There are about a dozen to change, basically at every union, and it is not difficult. The 134 rings are different colors, the r12 are all black. Also change out the dryer when you chg the compressor. Its good insurance.
I converted my elky this summer and it cools as well as the R12.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/rick.html

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
340 is a good price to have it done and it cools better than 134 (remember his elky is small interior wise) i'd keep the old one (wish mine was long like yours instead i have a vibrating rock crushing beast on mine)

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.