Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone did the AC freon conversion in their chevelle? What precations need to be taken? Can one of those kits in the store for about $30 be used to change from R12 to R134A?

·
Registered
51 Posts
HEY thats a loaded question on this line everyone has slightly different opinions, try the search engine type (r134) there is lots of good info to choose from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dont even try that $30 garbage. I worked in a body shop and we did ac work. There is more to it than changing o-rings. You need to flush the entire system, charge it with new oil, and then vacuum the system for at least an hour and then finally charge it w/ r-134a. How can $30 buy you all the stuff you need? Answer= you cant.

------------------

ACES member #3339
Owner of 69' SS396 Chevelle and soon to be owner of 70' LS-6

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did my wife's 90 olds delta 88, back in June. The kit I used said you don't have to flush the system, as long as you get 50% of the old oil out. I was skeptical also but tried it anyway. It still works it blows 38-40 degrees.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I have friend's who have used those $30 kit's on later model car's with good result's.
As far as the older vehicle's, I've heard different stories as to their success.
R12 is still readily available, although a lot more pricey.
It took a little over three pound's of R12 for my 70 SS @ $30 a lb.

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
336 Posts
In California you need a license to buy R-12. I bought two 14 oz. cans (whatever happened to 16 oz cans?!?) and it cost me $43 out the door at Autozone.

Fixed the lack of cool air problem on my '77 truck (for those of you that read my other post) unfortunately the pulley bearing seized up shortly after and as the new AC belt flew off, it took all the others with it-- at 5am, far from home
oh well i gotta get a new bearing and im set.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
In refrigeration business in Canada. R12 virtually non-existent, last time we were able to get remanufactured stuff it was going out to dealers at $700 Canadian for 30lb cylinder. Personally would advise against conversion to R134a on older vehicles. There is the oil issue and also some seals and hoses dont take to 134 like they did to 12. There are several 'drop-in' replacements now available that work without retrofit and are 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Check them out, they are an interim replacement that will be around another 20 years or so.
And some work better then 12. I think if Dupont and the boys did not have so much money invested in R134 they might rethink it because certainly does not appear to be ideal replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the conversion in my 70 GMC pickup (can you believe it came with A/C?) and the shop had to change alot of hoses and fittings. Cost about 250 bucks but has been running well for 2 years so far.

------------------

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on everyone's opinions and experiences, it sounds like it can be done, but in order for the changeover to last, certain changes should be made to secure the components of the AC system. People have had luck just using the changeover kit and draining some of the oil and some people think that you need to drain all of the oil and change all of the o-rings, etc... The second way is the safe way I guess, but a little more expensive -- figures!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.