Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the R-12 alternative's out there i.e. Freeze 12? Thank's, Narti

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
I personally haven't used it because I still have and can get R-12 for about $416/30lb. I have a cousin that has a successful shop and he has used the Freeze-12 with good results. He says it is not necessary to purge a system or change oil. Just evacuate the R-12 and add Freeze-12.

------------------

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's DZ! I only wish I had bought R12 when it was $30.00 for 20lbs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed my AC.to the new stuff R134A. All it took to rettrofit was to purge it, change the fill valve & change the filter screen & orfice. They sell the fill kits @ any auto store. It was done 2 years ago & still works fine. The old way of tearing every thing out & replace it all is not valid anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dave flanagan
how'd you purge it and if you have o-ring (vs flare)connections didn't you have to change them?
thanks, bg

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
I changed my sons A body to 134a, took off the compressor, drained the oil and refilled with new type, replaced the dryer and flushed everything else with AC solvent. It has been 2 years and even keeps him cold when he goes to Phoenix in August. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I bought a retro kit from local parts house that came with all the nedded o rings and a bottle of oil. Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 03-02-99).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
A garage purged it for me for free in turn I let them keep the R12 (I had no use for it). I did not drain the oil just added the new stuff it floats on the old and will not mix, but draining the old will not hurt. As in any fitings it is wise to change any and all O-rings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used these kits before and they work well. Only thing to look out for is the size of your system. If it is not very large, using the entire can of oil could hinder the cooling. For the conversion you do need the oil but amount depends on the system. The instructions say to add the entire can, but for some applications I have got better results with less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.