Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the postings on super turbos flowmaster and heard people saying they had a quiet exhuast ; so I started wondering if anybody has a sound level meter to accurately measure the sound levels. It would be very intersting to see the results.

my 350 with headers and super turbos plus h pipe measure well into the 100+ db range
c weight inside my truck and that is too loud, well into the damaging range.!

I bought a meter at radio shack for 40 bucks

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
100dbc!!! Wow, that is loud. My two chambered Flows (on my 67) are no wheres that loud and the Dynomax Super Turbos on the 66 are very quiet. 67 headers and Xover, 66 manifolds and Xover. Do you have tailpipes?

Do you have a DBA reading? it conforms more closely to the actually hearing patterns of the human ear.

The Radio Shack meter (I have one) is what is used at the strip where I run the 67 (strip req is <100 dba @ 100'). It's a pretty good meter. A buddy has my meter, I'll post reading in a couple days.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

·
Registered
138 Posts
Using that meter, you have to compare both the db level and the distance from the source you are measuring. I think it was Chevy High Performance that did a test on several mufflers. I chose my Walker Hemi Dynomax mufflers because of this article. I think they were rated at 85 db at 50 ft away. My wife is an Industrial Hygenist and is always telling me to wear ear plugs. The OSHA laws requires industry personnel to use earplugs when a noise is 85 db or above.
Sounds like you may want to get some jute packing for your floor to help quiet it down inside.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.