Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a down 'n dirty method for adding dual exhaust to a basically factory stock single exhaust car without causing harm to the engine??

Here's the scoop; '70 malibu w/stock 307 and single exhaust.

I have always loved the look of dual exhaust--so much that in high school I added the corresponding chrome exhaust tip on the driver's side (it wasn't connected to anything--ha ha). But with no "exhaust" coming out, it just wasn't the same.

SOOO,...if I bring it to a custom shop, can they some how just add a "Y" or some how tap on to the existing pipe and add a muffler???

I'm trying to avoid the whole entire correct dual system w/ cross-over (think that's what its called) due to the $$$ factor.

Any help is great.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
NO!
On a 307 V-8, they will run a pipe from each manifold back to separate mufflers, each with a tail pipe....

The two>one>two scheme you have they used for the later 70/80s 90s cars with catalytic converters.....no need here, go true dual exhaust

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would go with the dual exhaust system on summit. I paid like $150 which is easily half of what you pay for it to be done at a muffler shop. (300-400) On top of that if you get the dynomax longtube headers it will sound good. What i like about the summit system is that you can custom make it to what ever you like.. Side exit or str8 to the back..

Here's a lil sound clip of my car when it had the 350 in there which still had the stock cam..

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Oh and to answer your question...tapping in and adding a y is gay....kinda like the 4inch tip on a honda exhaust... Sorry somebody was gonna have to tell ya:p

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a dual exhaust kit and be done with it..
Flowmaster kits are made with good quality pipe and fit like they are factory engineered, Dynomax stuff is available everywhere and fits like oem (which makes sense, becasue they make a lot of oem exhaust setups for the big 3), and the Summit/Jegs stuff is ok, but i don't like the cheapness of the hardware and the way they put too damn many slip joints in them. their kits are made in Litchfield, MN, and also sold under the Heartthrob brand name- and i've put a few of those kits on various cars and trucks- including my Monte- and just didn't like the way they go together.
but the Flowmaster and Dynomax kits i've installed have fit like they were oem engineered, so i'd get one of those.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i went with headman elite headers 3in x pipe kit from pypes with flowmaster super 44s & ss flowmaster tips the hole set up was $1200 and it sounds like a beast worth every penny but thats just me

1970 chevelle 396
1967 chevelle

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
Guys,he has manifolds not headers
and your point is?
with a little bit of extra pipe and a welder- or just pay the local muffler shop a few bucks to do it- it is easy to hook up any aftermarket dual exhaust kit to the stock lead pipes coming off the manifolds.
there is some company out there that makes manifold lead pipes that go back to where most headers would be- a product that i'm surprised no one came up with years ago- and i think they cost about $50 for the pair.
but i can't remember where i saw them or who makes them.
also, i think Dynomax makes dual kits for manifolds. i know they make them for some trucks, anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all the input, I will definitely not cut-corners on this, I'll go the full dual route. First is to take care of the body work. ARRRG!!

·
Premium Member
28,753 Posts
and your point is?
with a little bit of extra pipe and a welder- or just pay the local muffler shop a few bucks to do it- it is easy to hook up any aftermarket dual exhaust kit to the stock lead pipes coming off the manifolds.
there is some company out there that makes manifold lead pipes that go back to where most headers would be- a product that i'm surprised no one came up with years ago- and i think they cost about $50 for the pair.
but i can't remember where i saw them or who makes them.
also, i think Dynomax makes dual kits for manifolds. i know they make them for some trucks, anyways.
Pypes makes the down pipes that run from the manifolds that allow you to hook them up to an aftermarket system.
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/downpipes.html

we do alot of exhaust work at the shop and those downpipes work well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
if your gonna do it do it right you wont be sorry you spent the extra money when you hear that baby purrrrin

1970 chevelle 396
1967 chevelle ???

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts