Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 3 inch pipe with 3 chamber flow masters... and of course their TOO LOUD!!

All that I do is drive to the track and race. Has anyone done a cheap and temporary fix for sound???

I was thinking of chicken wire and some steel wool and a bolt at the end of the tail pipe??

Any ideas!??
Phil

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man, does that bring back some memories! I remember a friend doing just that way back in high school. He had an old 62 Impala with straight pipes on it and back then nobody had any money anyway. We stuffed a few rolls of steel wool in the pipes and put some chicken wire over the ends. Man that thing was quiet as a mouse! The first time he rolls it out of the school shop and got down on it; all of that steel wool blew right through the chicken wire and it was as loud as ever. I still remember all of us laughing about that! To answer your question, I don't think you'll make it to the track with that combination. But if you take it easy on it, who knows, it just may work. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Sounds like you may want to get some ear plugs at Walgreens. (Quick,temporary sound deadening trick.) They are easy to install and don't cost alot.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I wish I could post this anonymously, cause it's really hack joe advice and, has nefarious origins, but here it goes: I once experimented with variuos "silencing" techniques unrelated to car exhaust. I don't know how your exhaust is rigged, but instead of chicken wire and steel wool ( too loose )you might want to try rolling up some screen, as in window screen. My guess is that you can roll it under three inches at one end, just leave a 3" "lip" to wrap around your pipe at the other end.Kind of as in a cone, with the wide end just enough to snugly fit onto your 3" pipe. You've got to secure this thing somehow. Big hose clamps should keep the thing together and snugged up to your pipes. You'll probably need one 3" to hold it onto your pipe and another ( or two) to hold the body of this thing together. Don't hop on it and let this thing unravel. I can just see it getting caught under your rear tire and screwing up your exhaust system. It should, however, work like a charm. Think of this thing as one big mo' diffuser at the end of your exhaust pipe. It should not go into your exhaust pipe, just a big ol screen cone clamped to it.

Signed,

MacGiver

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-16-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Phil
this may not be the cheapest but maybe a crossover tube would bring down the noise
and boost your bottom end,maybe

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 06-16-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Fred probably knows more about these but they are muffler tips. I believe they use wire washers to slow the velocity ( silence) the exhaust. Good call Fred, I was thinking about these as I was writing my previous post. They use the same technology as a very popular form of firearm supressor ( popular in government circles, that is). I don't think they're cheap though.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-17-99).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your really on the cheap, I made some supertraps for a stock car it was a little crude but it worked
A auper trap is a series of sheet metal disks(with 3" holes in centers) seperated by washers. The more disks you use the quieter your exhaust. You could make it up and clamp to the end of your tailpipe, then remove it at the strip. Oh yeah the last disk does not have the 3" hole-it is just a flat piece of sheet metal
good luck
JEFF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.