Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Does someone have a diagram for running tri-mode on a 4 channel amp?
I currently have (2) 6x9's one of them on channel 3, and one of them on channel 4.
Can I bridge channel 1 and 2 for a single bass tube? Does that sound correct as far as hooking up?

·
Registered
160 Posts

From what I have read, this is what you are talking about, but......why not just run a separate amp for the sub, the filter network for the correct frequencies for both the sub and 6x9s would be extensive. If it were me, I would run a separate amp for the sub, and use the existing amp for the other speakers

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It depends on the amplifier and it's design. Some 4 channel amplifiers can be run in a 4, 3, or 2 channel mode, but not all. I would find a manual for the amplifier you have and use it and if it's not called out in the wiring manual, post what info you can about the amplifier and even other things like the radio model and what sub you have.

Hopefully too, the amplifier has an internal crossover built into it to where the 6x9's can be doing the higher frequencies that the sub is not and the sub is doing the frequencies that the 6x9's are not.

If the amplifier does not have an internal crossover, some radio's have the feature on their front, rear, and sub output, and if this still is not an option, you can get an electronic crossover to go between the radio and amplifier's input or you can do it old school with capacitors and coils on the speakers wires.

Another thing to watch is the impedance of the speakers connected to the amplifier. Some amplifier's do not play well when the load is too low while others prefer a lower load.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Get the right wiring drawing for the amp you have. As far as cross overs on the sub, a subwoofer cannot dynamically produce higher frequencies anyway. The Q factor relates to the natural frequency ability of the sub. Design your enclosure around this factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts