Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I wanted to change my headlights over to relay switching since I have many good relays sitting around and people have had good experiances with it but I have a question. Ok the highbeams are perty simple they two wires one ground and one power. But the lows have 3 wires. Now one is for ground which is black the other is 12 power to the lowbeam bulb which i think is orange but what the heck is the green wire for???? I measured it with my volt meter with the lights on and there is very little power there like 0.194 volts?? Can someone tell me what that is for and what I should do with it since I am doing the relay setup on it??? thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Outside headlights
Black -Ground
Light Green -High Beams
Tan - Low Beams

Inside headlights
Black- Ground
Light Green - High Beams

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by 68chevelle8111112222:
thanks for the help but why is the highbeam wire hooked up to the low beam???
Each low beam (outer) lamp has TWO filaments. One for the Low Beam and one for the High Beam. That's why you see three pins on the lamp. One pin is common (ground), one is "high beam" and the other pin is "low beam". When you press the "high beam" switch, the high beam filament in each bulb receives 12 volts along with both outer headlamps.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
Each low beam (outer) lamp has TWO filaments. One for the Low Beam and one for the High Beam. That's why you see three pins on the lamp. One pin is common (ground), one is "high beam" and the other pin is "low beam". When you press the "high beam" switch, the high beam filament in each bulb receives 12 volts along with both outer headlamps.
Maybe "along with both INNER headlamps" or did I just read this wrong?
We don't have an accent on the correct coast nor do we call crackers "pizza". May be a regional thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so what happens if I just eliminate the highbeam wire on the low beam bulb? I just don't see a purpose to feed power to the low beam bulb twice because when I put my highbeams on the low beams still stay on?? Honestly I dont know what that wire is for and I dont see a use for it in the lowbeam bulb. If someone could help me understand it then great

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 68chevelle8111112222:
I just don't see a purpose to feed power to the low beam bulb twice because when I put my highbeams on the low beams still stay on??
Nope, the low beams do not stay on. They turn off and the high beams, in the outer headlights come on. Look at your outer headlights through the glass. There are 2 filaments inside them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok now I get it thanks for the help guys Its a good thing that the relays I have kicking around are hevy duty and can run more then just one light or else I would have alot of relays to use!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts